UHMWPE is an ultra high molecular weight polyethylene material that is designed to be used as a continuous wear strip, and is now stocked by Pacific West Corporation with an adhesive backing.
The main advantage of adding a pressure sensitive adhesive backing tape to UHMWPE is that it enables the material to be applied in minutes instead of hours, eliminating the need for mechanical fastening.
Some other advantages of adhesive backed UHMWPE are:
- no more seams
- tight thickness tolerances; and
- elimination of waste.
Pacific West Corporation stocks adhesive backed UHMWPE in thicknesses from .003" to .125", and widths from ¼" to 24". Roll lengths are either 50 or 100'.
They can optionally be supplied with an abrasive side that uses contact cement or epoxies to ensure permanent adhesion. These varieties are suitable for use in applications with higher adhesive demands due to load, substrate, environment or temperature change.
UHMWPE tapes are commonly used for:
- conveyor side liners
- low friction surfaces on packaging equipment
- bearing surfaces for telescoping applications
- smooth continuous surfaces for paddle conveyors
- anti-stick surfaces on bagging lines
- hopper and chute liners; and
- low coefficient of friction surfaces under conveyor belts.