Duff Norton anti backlash actuators are designed to reduce linear backlash resulting in smooth, precise operation and minimal wear.
Backlash occurs when the motor driving an actuator reverses its load direction or alternatively, a load imposed on the lifting screw changes direction, load changing from compression to tension. The gap between the lifting screw and the worm gear threads causes detrimental screw movement to occur.
The lifting screw threads are supported by worm gear threads when the anti backlash jacks are under load. The anti-backlash nut, pinned to the worm gear and adjusted downwards by the shell cap, forces the bottom thread surfaces against the upper thread surfaces of the lifting screw, reducing the backlash between the lifting screw and worm gear threads to a minimum.
Key features of Duff Norton anti backlash screw jacks:
- Anti-backlash screw jack design features a separate anti-backlash nut and reduces actuator backlash to less than 0.001"
- Anti-backlash nuts act as additional load safety devices when the worm gear wears out
- Anti-backlash nuts reduce worm gear wear
- Precise motion control
- Available in stainless steel
- Capacities: 1/4 Ton to 250 Ton
- Travel: Up to 20 feet