A pair of Supaflo paste and high rate concentrate thickeners designed for rapid installation, are being delivered by Outotec, formerly Outokumpu Technology, to Allegiance Mining’s new $77 million Avebury nickel project in Tasmania.
The 14m tailings paste and 8m concentrate high rate thickener will each feature bolted tanks designed to radically decrease installation time.
Outotec’s Manager for Thickening technology in Australia, Duncan Wyatt, says the time savings will be particularly important in helping Allegiance capitalise on high nickel prices from Avebury, where mining commenced this year and ore is being stockpiled for mill commissioning in the last quarter of 2007. Avebury is expected to produce 7500-8500 tpa of nickel metal in concentrate.
“Not only will the Supaflo technology assist Allegiance in achieving early production, but also the technology itself will help maximise recoveries while minimising energy and service needs,” Duncan Wyatt said.
“Our competitive edge for Avebury was industry experience and a novel tank design, coupled with professional testwork and fast-track delivery for the third quarter of this year.”
Outotec’s renowned Supaflo installation incorporates:
- Bolted tank design to radically decrease site installation time. The bolted tank is delivered pre-painted with no site welding required. This ensures a fast and reliable project duration – a particularly valuable advantage given the project location on Tasmania’s rugged West Coast and potentially some cost savings. Bolted thickeners are also much easier to relocate should future operations require
- Easy accessibility for operation and service. The 14m paste thickener features an elevated tank, a full span truss bridge and 6m high sidewall. The thickener has a scalloped floor with two outer rows of support legs. An advantage of this design is that it provides good access to the underside of the thickener
- Supaflo strutless thickener rake arm design. Advantages include minimised drag load on the thickener drive. De-watering pickets have been included to maximise underflow density
- Multi-pinion drive unit. The drive is sized to ensure the raking mechanism can operate under all conditions to achieve the desired underflow solids which have a resulting high yield stress. The multi-pinion drive has been designed to enable a single gearbox to be taken for routine maintenance and inspection with the drive unit still being able to maintain operation with the remaining reducers
- Outotec has provided its patented Autodil feedwell dilution system to automatically dilute incoming feed slurry to the optimum density, thereby ensuring consistent performance and reduced flocculant consumption.