National Instruments Aust & NZ extends the communication and measurement capabilities of the NI wireless sensor network (WSN) platform with two new products.
NI WSN products are suitable for long-term data logging and remote monitoring applications such as environmental monitoring, energy monitoring and building monitoring.
The new NI 9792 is a programmable WSN gateway that uses a variety of open communication standards to communicate with NI WSN measurement nodes as well as other hardware.
Suitable for embedded, wireless data logging applications, the NI 9792 gateway combines an NI LabVIEW Real-Time controller and an integrated WSN radio so that LabVIEW Real-Time applications can run locally on the gateway to aggregate data from NI WSN devices.
The new NI WSN-3226 voltage/resistance temperature detector (RTD) combination node extends the measurement capabilities of the NI WSN platform to include support for resistance-based measurements such as RTDs and potentiometers.
The NI WSN-3226 enables engineers and scientists to combine voltage and temperature measurements on a single NI WSN device.
Key features of the NI 9792 gateway:
- Programmable with the LabVIEW Real-Time Module for standalone operation
- Incorporates a high-performance 533 MHz processor and 2 GB of onboard storage for embedded data logging applications
- Integrated web (HTTP) and file (FTP) servers enable remote access to measurement data from thin client devices such as smartphones and mobile computers
- RS232 serial port and dual Ethernet ports provide flexible connectivity to other devices such as enterprise-level networks or wired I/O systems
- Flexibility allows engineers and scientists to create a complete wired and wireless measurement solution to meet various application needs
- NI WSN 1.2 software also delivers web-based configuration, eliminating the need for application software to configure and set up a WSN
Key features of the NI WSN-3226 measurement node:
- Adds resistance-based measurements to the NI WSN platform
- Features four analogue input channels that can be configured on a per-channel basis for ±10 V measurements or resistive measurements
- Provides engineers and scientists the flexibility to choose between high-speed and high-resolution analogue input modes on the device
- Two bidirectional digital channels can be configured on a per-channel basis for input, sinking output or sourcing output
- Powered by four AA batteries, with an operational lifetime of up to three years
- Alternatively, externally powered with a 5 to 30 V supply for improved efficiency in energy harvesting applications
- Supported by NI WSN 1.2 software
LabVIEW WSN Module Pioneer can be used to customise the behaviour of the WSN-3226 by adding intelligence to extend battery life, increase analogue and digital input performance, perform local control, analysis and data reduction as well as interface with custom sensors.
NI WSN products find application in:
- Environmental monitoring
- Energy monitoring
- Building monitoring
- Structural health monitoring
- Distributed temperature monitoring
- Industrial monitoring