MICROCHIP Technology has launched the PIC16F946 PIC microcontroller with an integrated Liquid-Crystal Display (LCD) module.
The combination of LCD module, lower power consumption and the high level of peripheral integration reduces the total system cost in many consumer applications.
The PIC16F946 adds to Microchip's LCD PIC microcontroller family, providing easy access to varying pin counts and levels of performance, and support for a wide selection of LCD segments.
The PIC16F946 LCD PIC microcontroller features nanoWatt technology, which meets industry low-power design requirements, including the need to drive LCD displays in standby conditions.
Integrated peripherals include high-endurance data EEPROM, a stable internal oscillator, a 10-bit analogue to digital converter, serial communications peripherals and the ability to implement a low-power real time clock.
Example applications for the new PIC16F946 with integrated LCD module include - automotive (dashboard displays), instrumentation/measurement (medical instruments/monitors, meter reading, handheld terminal/remote reading), appliance (display/control units on stoves/ovens, microwaves), industrial (payment systems, water/gas/electric/heat utility meters, gasoline pumps), consumer (universal remote controls, programmable thermostats/controls, irrigation control, home security systems, exercise equipment) and communications (handset displays).
Additional key features include:
* 14KB of Flash program memory, 336B of RAM and 256B of data EEPROM
* Reliable low-power operation with Brownout Reset (BOR), extended Watchdog Timer (WDT), Programmable Low Voltage Detect (PLVD) and nanoWatt power-management modes
* Enhanced LCD module with four multiplex commons and up to 42 segment drivers
* High-stability, 8MHz internal oscillator
* 5 MIPS core performance
* 10-bit analogue-to-digital converter with up to 8 signal channels
* Two analogue comparators
* SPI, I2C, and AUSART communication protocol support
* Three timers and two Capture/Compare/PWM Modules.
To reduce time to market, the PIC16F946 is supported by Microchip's standard, high-performance development systems, including - MPLAB Integrated Development Environment (IDE), MPLAB ICD 2 In-Circuit Debugger and MPLAB ICE 2000 In-Circuit Emulator.
The PICDEM LCD Demo Board (part # DM163028) and the LCD Daughter Board (part # MA160011) are also available to ease development with this microcontroller's advanced LCD features.