Due to close associations with the underground coal industry and a sound knowledge of the various dusts involved, Micro Fresh Filters has recently begun supplying mines with 3M’s new range of environmentally friendly dust suppressants.
3M SDS4 long-term dust suppressant is an easy to use economical water management tool, which provides durable control and suppression of fugitive dust caused by wind and vehicle movements.
This may result in up to a 70% reduction in water consumption, when compared to water only, which will reduce operating costs and impact of airborne dust to neighbouring communities.
Repeated applications cause dust particles to agglomerate and prevent them from becoming airborne in response to vehicle or wind movement.
SDS4 is ideal for remote areas where water is scarce, and wherever a durable dust solution is required. SDS4 is simple and easy to use, with no requirement for special storage or equipment.
3M SDS2 dust suppressant allows water to go-further when used according to instructions. The dust suppressant is ideal for construction sites, ungrassed areas, roadway dust suppression and continual longwall coal mining dust control, or wherever economical dust suppression is required.
SDS2 is approved for use underground and can reduce water consumption by more than 50% 3M SDS2 dust suppressant can be dosed into the inline water systems at a single point using a standard liquid dosing pump upstream of the longwall stage loader, crusher and shearer to aid in coal wetting and reduce fugitive dust emission at each point of operation.
3M dust suppressants are an economical water management tool suitable for areas such as:
- Haul roads
- Recreational areas including unsealed car parks and roadways
- New housing development areas
- Civil road construction activities including major roadwork construction projects
- Major infrastructure developments such as dams, power stations, waste water treatment plants
- Construction sites
- Unpaved roads
- Parking areas
- Road compaction
- Open cut and longwall mining operations
- Smelting and refining operational plant areas
- Windrows and soil dumps
- Immediate benefits
- Immediate and long-term dust suppression
- Helping to improve worker health through reduced airborne dust concentrations
- Reduced water consumption
- Low dilution rates
- Improved air quality
- Reduced complaints from neighbouring residents
- Can assist with regulatory guidelines
- Increased productivity with no interruption to activities
- Easy to use and apply
- Environmental impact
- Both 3M SDS4 long term dust suppressant and 3M SDS2 dust suppressant have under-gone a programme of testing to assess the impact on the natural environment
Data indicate that these products are low in toxicity to tested aquatic organisms.SDS2 and the majority of the components of SDS4, are biodegradable.
Material safety data sheets (MSD 18-944-01 for SDS4 and MSD 18-1217-1 for SDS2) are available upon request.