Acromag has introduced new PMC mezzanine modules featuring a reconfigurable Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA to offer a cost-sensitive solution for advanced embedded computing applications requiring custom logic, DSP or algorithm acceleration.
The new PMC mezzanine modules featuring the cost-optimised Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA have been introduced by Acromag to assist embedded system developers facing ever-tightening budgets and time constraints.
Typical applications of the PMC modules include hardware simulation, in-circuit diagnostics, communications, signal intelligence and image processing.
Spartan-6 FPGAs have integrated logic, DSP, and memory resources that leverage the flagship Virtex-6 FPGA platform’s architecture and system-level blocks for quicker and smoother system development.
Acromag adds a high-throughput PCI-X interface, large memory banks, and easy access to field I/O signals to deliver a ready-to-use FPGA computing module for advanced signal processing applications.
The PMC-SLX reconfigurable FPGA modules can save thousands of dollars, yet still deliver high-performance computing for algorithm acceleration and custom logic processing tasks.
Spartan-6 FPGA modules are designed for cost-sensitive applications, but are also suitable for various military, aerospace and industrial control functions, thanks to their abundant logic resources and high-speed DSP.
Spartan-6 FPGAs use an efficient dual-register 6-input LUT logic structure, built-in system-level blocks, and DSP slices derived from the high-end Virtex-6 architecture to optimise system performance and enable cross-platform compatibility.
As part of Xilinx’s targeted design platform, designers can leverage common design methodologies, development tools, and run-time platforms for greater cost savings and faster time-to-market.
Key features of PMC mezzanine modules:
- Field I/O interfaces to the FPGA via the rear J4/P4 connector and/or with optional front mezzanine I/O extension modules
- 64 I/O or 32 LVDS lines are accessible through the rear connector
- Acromag’s plug-in AXM mezzanine cards provide additional I/O processing capabilities
- All models employ the logic-optimised SLX150 version of the Spartan-6 FPGA, which provides 147,433 logic cells and 180 DSP slices
- Dual-ported SRAM (256k or 1M x 64-bit) facilitates high-speed DMA transfers to the bus or CPU
- 16MB flash memory enables on-board storage and loading of the FPGA code
- 100MHz 64-bit PCI-X interface ensures fast data throughput
Acromag has developed a DLL driver software package compatible with Microsoft Visual C++, and Visual Basic for easy integration of the boards with embedded Windows applications.
Acromag also offers C libraries for VxWorks, Linux, and other operating systems for real-time and open source applications.
Acromag’s new PMC mezzanine modules are available through Metromatics .