GE Intelligent Platforms has introduced a new range of high performance ADC/DAC modules that offers superior throughput in radar, signals intelligence, communications, and test and measurement applications.
The ICS-1572A ADC/DAC (Analog-Digital Converter/Digital-Analog Converter) transceiver XMC modules are designed to act as a powerful link between the analogue world of sensors and the digital world of computing for deployment in highly demanding applications.
The new board features 16-bit data acquisition at up to 250MHz and the latest Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA processor to deliver excellent performance in a cost-effective, compact and lightweight form factor.
Building on the legacy of GE’s industry-leading family of digital receivers, the ICS-1572A modules deliver a number of customer advantages:
- Ability to perform faster sweeps when scanning for spectral activity
- Opportunity to use lower cost analogue RF equipment
- Capability to reduce the cost of the system backend processing engine
- Facility to use electronic ‘steering’ rather than physical array steering
- Option of using existing arrays for multiple purposes
In addition to allowing for more compact solutions, the XMC form factor also enables higher throughput to the host memory, which translates into the ability to send higher bandwidth signals for downstream processing.
The higher sampling rates allow for higher instantaneous bandwidth to be captured, therefore meeting the challenging frequency coverage requirements of surveillance systems. The use of high speed DDR3 memory allows for deep waveform storage and tolerates the interrupt latency associated with non-real time operating systems.
Key features of ICS-1572A transceiver modules:
- Delivers speeds of up to 250MHz as against 200MHz or less in current 16-bit solutions
- Uses the latest generation FPGA from Xilinx, providing significantly more processing power, reducing the load on the backend processing engine
- Incorporates the latest ADC/DAC technology and the flexibility of the XMC form factor
- Provides two 16-bit ADCs sampling synchronously at frequencies up to 250 MHz and two 16-bit DACs at up to 500 MHz
- ADC input pass band is 4.5 to 800 MHz (3dB) to allow for under-sampling applications
- Xilinx Virtex-6 LX240T FPGA is provided for user-defined signal processing functions
- Virtex-6 device also provides a PCI Express interface to the host system with other protocols such as Serial RapidIO provided on request
- FPGA’s powerful signal processing capability can be loaded with standard functions or programmed by the user for any required function
GE Intelligent Platforms is represented in Australia and New Zealand by Metromatics .