GE Intelligent Platforms announces that its video processing technology has been deployed on-board NASA’s Global Hawk aircraft as part of the agency’s Hurricane Severe Storm Sentinel (HS3) Mission.
A joint partnership between NASA Dryden Flight Research Center (DFRC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the missions see the autonomous Global Hawk deployed to study hurricanes and wildfires, and conduct unprecedented atmospheric research initiatives. The rugged full motion video (FMV) compression appliance, the GE daq8580 provides visual situational awareness on the missions.
GE daq8580 provides exceptional computing power for video compression/decompression, video switching, format conversions, scaling, blending and many other video processing functions while enabling multichannel video compression and decompression for over 100x reduction in bandwidth without sacrificing video quality.
NASA selected GE’s daq8580 video compression technology to enable multiple video capabilities on Global Hawk missions. The FMV compression appliance provides three key capabilities for the NASA missions.
By offering very high performance with very low latency, GE’s video processing technology ensures that optimum quality captured images are processed and transmitted in the shortest possible time, and with minimal bandwidth usage.
Secondly, the daq8580’s open architecture allows it to be easily and cost-effectively integrated within Global Hawk’s other systems.
Additionally, its support for CameraLink, an industry standard protocol, which allows for the support of a broad range of high resolution cameras, gives NASA substantial flexibility.
Key advantages of GE daq8580 FMV compression appliance:
- Allows the user to ingest high bandwidth, high resolution video streams from onboard sensors and compress the data by factors as large as 100:1
- Reduced bandwidth video feed can be transmitted over the communication link to the ground station for observation and analysis with negligible impact on image quality
- Minimises system complexity as well as the size, weight and power (SWaP) requirements, while increasing operational reliability
- Rugged multichannel FMV compression appliance for processing, server and storage applications in harsh, constrained environments
- Addresses the challenges of processing, transporting and storing full motion video through video encoding
- Interfaces with a wide variety of analogue and digital I/O
- Processes standard video formats up to 1080p30 as well as computer resolutions up to 1600x1200