GE Intelligent Platforms introduces an enhanced version of the ICS-8580 rugged high definition video compression XMC modules in response to the growing application of video in conflict zones.
Designed in response to the growing use of video in a broad range of defence applications, ICS-8580 video compression modules allow very high quality moving images to be captured, transmitted and stored at very high speeds with very low latency and minimal consumption of precious bandwidth or disk space.
Unmanned vehicles are increasingly being deployed by military organisations in conflict zones around the world with a corresponding rise in the demand for the use of video for intelligence, reconnaissance and surveillance applications.
With its ability to stream video, the ICS-8580 provides a solution for a new realm of sophisticated, demanding applications, making a significant contribution to superior decision making and improved troop safety.
The primary challenge in video capture and transmission is maintaining video quality in order to maximise critical detail while minimising the use of the bandwidth by implementing highly efficient algorithms. Challenges also include transmitting raw unprocessed high definition video data at very high speed requiring bandwidth that is rarely available as well as storage of high definition video data, which in its uncompressed form can require terabytes of disk space.
The ICS-8580 video compression modules can capture video inputs and archive or stream them over the Ethernet, managing multiple streams of performing capture, manipulation, conversion, compression, storage, decompression and video display.
The rugged, yet compact and lightweight XMC form factor minimises power consumption, enabling it to be easily deployed in systems in harsh environments that are constrained by size, weight and power (SWaP).
The original version of the ISC-8580 has been widely deployed in programs such as NASA's Global Hawk initiative.
Key features of the enhanced ICS-8580 video compression modules:
- Two DSPs, each of which can be configured as an encoder or decoder provide superior system flexibility
- Full support for PCI Express, allowing uncompressed data to be uploaded and downloaded and improving configurability within custom systems
- SDK for faster integration with remote configuration options
- Six inputs and four outputs for flexible pass-through modes, allowing the use of any front end connector and facilitating integration with legacy systems
- Out-of-the-box ability to connect to an NAS for easier integration
- Support for the synchronisation of stereo or mono sound for improved flexibility
- H.264 video compression/decompression (codec) technology
- Versatile FPGA device coupled with powerful dual DSP signal processors provides superior computing power for video applications
- FPGA enables video switching format conversions, scaling, blending and other processing functions
- Dual DSP processors enable multichannel video compression and decompression for over 100x reduction in bandwidth with minimal impact and video quality
- Handles up to two channels of full HD (1080p30) or UXGA (1,600 x 1,200 @ 30fps) video, or up to 4 channels of standard definition video