GE Intelligent Platforms introduces the fully managed NETernity GBX460 rugged 6U OpenVPX data plane switch module featuring GE’s unique OpenWare switch management capability.
The new GBX460 Ethernet switch joins GE’s range of high density 10GigE solutions targeted at demanding high performance computing (HPC) and networking applications such as communications, ISR and radar.
Customers now have a choice of a fully managed GBX460 with the flexibility, versatility and functionality provided by the OpenWare suite of protocols and switch management software, or the excellent time-to-operation of the unmanaged version.
The new GBX460 Ethernet switch supports features required by customers to meet the needs of next generation network-centric operations:
- Layer 2/3 switching and routing, including support for IPv6 addressing
- Extensive management for configuration and protocol options
- Ability to customise the software to meet specific application requirements
Military organisations today demand a tremendous amount of bandwidth and computing to drive the new network-centric battlefield. Applications such as ISR, communications, situational awareness, and radar require very high performance, multi-core and multi-compute embedded system architectures.
Ethernet has become the interconnect of choice and the new GBX460 10Gigabit Ethernet switch can facilitate excellent performance for these demanding applications.
Key features of the GBX460 Ethernet switches with OpenWare:
- Supports high throughput interprocessor communication (IPC) between 10GigE-enabled processing nodes for deployed network-centric defence and aerospace applications
- Non-blocking 10GigE ports provide high performance throughput across the VPX backplane
- Non-blocking feature enables the switch to pass traffic across all 10GigE ports at wire speed without bottlenecks
- Supports features required by customers to meet the needs of next generation network-centric operations
- Supports multiple OpenVPX slots/module profiles for maximum flexibility and throughput
- Standard build provides 20 x 10GigE data plane fat pipes and 16 x 1 GigE control plane ultra-thin pipes to support multi-board 6U VITA 65 (OpenVPX) system configurations
- Multi-board systems can be configured by using the GBX460 together with GE processor cards such as the SBC622 Intel Core i7-based single board computer
- IPN250 and NPN240 NVIDIA CUDA GPGPU processors enable high levels of performance for size, weight and power (SWaP) constrained applications such as deployed image, radar, sonar and signal processing
- Optional builds include support for up to 24 10GigE ports or up to four front panel 10GigE fibre ports to connect to external networks
Available for the GBX460, GE’s OpenWare offers a comprehensive and powerful switch management environment providing integrated management services including configuration, monitoring, switching control, addressing, routing and all supported protocols.
Configuration and monitoring functions are accessible from a serial console or via a network. Supported access methods include Telnet, SSH and SNMP.
GE Intelligent Platforms is represented in Australia and New Zealand by Metromatics .