Metalsistem Australia recently supplied a storage system from their Super 1/2/3 Series to the University of Melbourne library.
The University of Melbourne has one of the largest books and periodicals storage facilities in Australia with its busy library operating in 19 locations across several campuses and the branches seeing more than 1.5 million visitors every year.
The university’s existing storage facilities store more than 3.5 million items including books, DVDs, photographic slides, music scores, periodicals and even children's toys. The university library also holds many collections of rare books, ancient maps, prints and other published materials.
To meet its growing storage needs, the University of Melbourne embarked on an extensive refurbishment program to house the collection in a safe and efficient manner that not only allowed staff to access the collection easily and quickly, but also ensured optimal conditions for the sensitive material.
Key challenges for Metalsistem Australia during the installation included an odd-shaped, two-zone building envelope and an existing suspended slab floor with a strength rating of just 3 kPa.
Metalsistem’s architects and engineers designed and built a complex multi-tier storage module to meet all of the university’s requirements.
Metalsistem chose a 2-tier storage system consisting of 1,300 bays of modular shelving in 900mm bay lengths that allowed better load distribution on the existing concrete floor.
Metalsistem storage systems distributor Bowen Group Australia managed the project, working closely with the architect and builder to confirm the floor loadings through soil and concrete testing.
Having designed the storage modules to maximise storage capacity, Bowen Group installers had to work in a very restricted area along with other trades, including electricians, fire suppression and mechanical works.
A full range of accessories is available for the Super 1/2/3 Series modular storage systems to further increase the library’s storage capacity when required.
Highlights of Metalsistem’s Super 1/2/3 Series installation:
- Two-tier module consists of 1,300 bays of modular shelving, covering approximately 1,400m² of floor space
- Short 900mm bay lengths allow greater load distribution on the concrete floor
- Lightweight construction reduces loading on the floor
- All beams are easily adjusted at all levels, allowing easy rearrangement of shelving to accommodate varying book sizes
- Open-plan construction creates a light, bright environment, reducing the need for artificial light sources
- Galvanised finish makes the system completely suitable for archive storage
- Completely boltless, interchangeable and extendable systems
- Ideal for storage of light goods in standard applications or two-tier configurations, with heights up to 5m
- Galvanised steel construction ensures system durability
- Structural components are produced from 3.1 certified high tensile structural steels to EN10204 standards
- Certified in accordance with all relevant international standards, including TÜV, ISO and FEM
- Frames composed of uprights, diagonal and horizontal spacer bars, and available in varying depths and heights
- Load-bearing capacity of frame up to 3,600 kg/frame for the Super3 series
- Suspended walkway installations can be created from the Super3 series fitted out with protection and safety elements
- Suitable for shop and office fit-outs