A simple machinery upgrade by a Sydney-based sheetmetal fabrication plant has helped them optimise production time and introduce process efficiency.
Servgas Sheet Metal replaced their Finn Power TP 2000 punching machine with a new Finn Power E5x servo electric turret punch press available from Maxitec to cut down work schedules by half.
Work demand has dropped from full- to half-capacity overnight, allowing the company to take on new work across the industry spectrum.
According to the Managing Director of the company, Mr Adam Veitch, the machinery upgrade was just a smarter way to handle production.
He says that the E5x servo electric turret punch press is so efficient and fast that it has opened up far more opportunities to take on new work.
While the company had always run about 600 niche jobs a month with the plant at full capacity, they now have room for at least another 300 additional sheets per month.
As a contract manufacturer of production housing for electrical components such as alarm systems, hot water heaters and other general work, Servgas Sheet Metal has scope to absorb orders across a wide range of industrial sectors.
The company’s new E5x is a compact, high-performance servo electric turret punch press and not a hydraulic powered machine.
The E5x provides fully automated material handling capabilities that arm small-to-medium sheetmetal fabricators with a multi-purpose machine for bending, forming, tapping and marking applications.
Key features of the E5x servo electric turret punch press:
- Manufactured by leading global developer Finn Power
- Eliminates the bulk, noise and vibration issues of hydraulics by using servo-electric punching technology
- Features programmable punch modes, stepless adjustment of speed and position as well as accurate forming
- Low energy consumption and maintenance costs, quantifiable by Maxitec’s user-specific ROI analysis
- Offers a compact 1250mm x 2500mm working area that does not require repositioning of the job piece
- Provides high accuracy and productivity while operating in a tight workspace footprint
- Single water-cooled servo motor operating on a ball screw for linear movement and pneumatic RAM return movement
- Fast punching speed, fully adjustable in both directions
- One-sided wedge system with high static force in forming facilitates low tonnage load for mechanics and has 17- or 23-ton punching force available
- Closed-circuit water cooling ensures performance in high ambient temperatures
- Pneumatic clamps with central locking and sheet security monitoring centres provide a safe production and fast setup with optional PCS and 3rd clamp with ‘move’
- Using brush tables, the system handles a maximum sheet weight of 200kg and maximum sheet thickness of 8mm ensuring a silent, scratch-free sheet motion
- Optional lifting brushes provide extra safety for sensitive materials
- Optional vertically moving sheet supports enable easy movement of heavy sheets on the table surface during loading
- Metal sheet support at table edge facilitates loading of heavy or large sheets
- Plastic brush table segments are provided around the turret
- Sheet loading is assisted by a 5-position moving table, simplifying loading for all sheet sizes
- Turret with 20 stations to enable customisation
- Tools can be increased to more than 100 by adding Multi-Tool stations
- Easy touch screen operations, standard Windows functions, USB port and 100Mbs Ethernet for data transfer as standard
Mr Veitch says that the E5x punching machine has integrated seamlessly into their job demands, offering speed in operation, accuracy with forming and versatility in indexing.
The turret punch press is particularly good when punching stainless steel while the software is user-friendly and takes care of most of the work.
With the standard tool arrangements in the new equipment, they do not have to change tools a lot. Additionally, the scribe tool can be used for etching and engraving work.
Fabrication work is done for applications as diverse as water heaters, alarm system housing, intricate cabling housing, mining industry work, railways industry and defibrillation unit housing among others.
Servgas Sheet Metal typically works with sheets ranging between 0.7mm and 3mm in thickness, performing all the punching, folding, pressing, etching and grading jobs that might be required in addition to in-house powder-coating.