With 57% of Workcover claims relating to musculosketal injuries such as, muscle fatigue, repetitive strains, aches, back spasms etc., anti-fatigue matting is a priority in the workplace.
Standing for long periods of time on hard floor surfaces is very uncomfortable and causes physical fatigue. Leg muscles become totally static and constricted as they work overtime to keep that person in an upright position. Blood flow is greatly reduced causing pain and discomfort.
In this situation the employees' heart is forced to work harder to pump blood through these constricted areas and his body begins to run out of energy. However, if a person is allowed to stand on an anti-fatigue mat, his muscles will subtly contract and expand as they adjust to the flexibility of the mat.
This muscle movement increases blood-flow and increases the amount of oxygen reaching the heart and fatigue is greatly reduced.
Standing workers are less fatigued and feel less discomfort at the end of the day, if they stand on anti-fatigue flooring.
Studies have confirmed that comfortable ergonomic anti-fatigue floor matting has an immediate and enormous impact on productivity and staff morale.
Benefits of using anti-fatigue matting include:
(1) Reduces pressure on the spine and strain on the back muscles, resulting in less lower back pain.
(2) Stimulates the circulation.
(3) Encourages frequent changes in posture preventing stiffness in joints and muscles
(4) Eases the stiffness in neck and shoulders which cause headaches
(5) Halves the amount of energy used by supporting muscles in the back and legs
(6) Reduces arch and heel pain caused by flattening of the feet