MLA Holdings Pty Ltd and Mitsubishi Forklift Trucks have introduced the Integrated Presence System (IPS). This is a new state of the art safety system that links operator presence sensors and safety features of the forklift truck.
With IPS, designers and engineers at Mitsubishi Forklift Trucks adopted an operator centered design concept and found a more comprehensive method to prevent forklift accidents.
The key focus has been placed on immobilising the movement of the forklift truck and its hydraulic functions when the operator leaves their seat. This is to prevent accidents caused by remote human error.
IPS includes the following five key safety functions:
1) Travel interlock - Disengage the transmission, preventing someone from getting caught by moving machines.
2) Mast interlock - Disconnect power from the hydraulic lift and tilt functions, preventing hydraulic mast functions if operating levers are accidentally shifted.
3) Neutral safety start - Only allow the engine to be started when transmission is put into neutral. This is to prevent the forklift truck from surging forward or backward when starting.
4) Seat belt warning - Flashing of seat belt visual warning lamp on the instrument panel, to remind the operator to fasten their seat belt.
5) Park brake alarm - Buzzer will sound when the parking brake lever is released while the engine is off and when the operator leaves their seat without applying the parking brake.
Mitsubishi Forklift Trucks has made these features a standard on their new Grendia series forklift trucks.