The new StarCut Tube uses advanced fibre laser technology, specifically designed for tube cutting and processing applications. Combining new laser technology with up to four servo driven axes allows the system to create a diverse range of cutting geometries including Off Axis cutting.
StarCut Tube’s ability to cut Off Axis enables new strut configurations, allowing new stent designs to be produced. Off Axis cutting also allows the system to replicate the parallel wall features produced by traditional mechanical milling and EDM processes.
New and unusual cutting geometries such as spiral cuts or interlinked structures can be produced in a single process operation. Suitable for use in medical device manufacturing applications, StarCut Tube enables the production of flexible or steerable instruments such as those used in endoscopy.
Key features of the StarCut Tube system:
- Processes tubes with diameters of less than 200 microns and kerf widths of less than 15 microns
- Robust machine construction with linear motor technology enables contour accuracy of ± 5µm and strut widths down to 10µm
- Achieves excellent process times for stent cutting
- Manipulates the tube at speeds of up to 20 revolutions per second
- Capability to perform wet cutting processes
- Flexibility to engrave and perforate surfaces on medical implants
- Engraving and cutting operations are completed in one processing step, improving cycle times and reducing manufacturing costs
Laser Resources is a leading Australian company specialising in laser technology and offering a comprehensive range of laser products for industry.