What is the advantage of outsourcing in Australia versus lower-cost countries?
• Quality – in our experience, lower cost options often do not result in a quality design outcome.
• Communication – language, time zone, ease of meeting/calls, documentation, understanding of local design context and so on …
• Accountability – we’ll be here tomorrow, come and visit us, meet our team.
• True cost – often, a low-cost design option “looks cheap” but there can be many costs down the track on both the design and business front (returns, brand damage, lost sales and so on).
• Management overheads – typically, offshore teams require significant management overheads (often due to the above issues). In fact, we have been engaged by certain clients simply to manage offshore resources.
• Associated services – PCB and firmware/software design is only a subset of product development. It’s a multifaceted undertaking and there are many opportunities for the right team to add value along the way. We often act like your own R&D team with a CTO reporting not just the details but also acting at a strategic level.
• Relationship – we always seek to build a strong relationship with our clients.