Kontron Australia announces the introduction of two application-ready computing platforms for industrial automation.
The pre-integrated industrial demonstration platforms combine visualisation and real-time control onto a single virtualized hardware.
Third party hardware and software components from Softing, 3S, Altera, Microsoft, Wind River, Real-Time Systems and Linux are implemented as function validated building blocks ready for use with these industrial computing platforms.
The industrial automation platforms offer extensive software support and flexible FPGA interfaces that are deployed in Industrial Ethernet, field buses and GPIOs among others. OEMs receive first and second level support for such platforms from Kontron.
Additionally, Kontron also manages the entire licensing for Softing, 3S, Altera, Microsoft, Wind River, Real-Time Systems and Linux, relieving customers from administration work once their system has been specified and validated.
OEMs benefit from Kontron’s application ready platforms through reduced hardware development and software integration cost allowing them to focus on application development.
Werner Ressle, Director of Software & Software Services explains that Kontron’s demonstration systems show a high degree of application specific maturity, which is very attractive to many OEMs, because the components installed are those required in many industrial applications.
He adds that Kontron’s experience in software integration and R&D capacity for the interaction of these standard components enable OEMs to save valuable time when implementing their specific systems.
Kontron estimates a cost savings potential of at least 10% in a TCO consideration, and up to 20% in relation to individual purchases and in-house integration work.
Key features of Kontron’s industrial demonstration platform 1:
- Based on Kontron COM Express FPGA Starterkit featuring Altera FPGA Cyclone IV GX on the carrier board and Altera HSMC cards for the FPGA based IOs
- Can be used as a quality control system in many industrial applications
- Both the Softing Software stacks for Profinet and Kontron Video Processing IP are integrated directly on the FPGA
- CoDeSys runtime system for VxWorks with virtual Windows 7 is installed via a Real-Time Systems Hypervisor implementation
- Both runtime systems share virtual Ethernet
- Siemens SIMATIC ET200S I/O node with eight digital inputs and eight digital outputs is connected via Profinet
- Controlled DC motors achieve movements such as those in pick and place robots
- GUI displays camera streams and the actual HMI application
- Suitable standard video algorithms for individual vision systems are integrated on an application specific basis
- Based on the Kontron MICROSPACE MSMST PCIe/104 single board computer carrying a multi-chip module with Intel Atom E6x5CT processor and Altera Arria II GX 65 FPGA
- GPIOs implemented in the FPGA support emergency stop, distance sensor, warning beacon and a metal detector
- Ideal for use as an all-in-one solution for the control and safeguard of conveyor lines in the packaging industry
- Wind River 1.3 Hypervisor managing the CoDeSys runtime environment comes with real time VxWorks 6.8 and non real-time Linux OS
- Windows 7 HMI is connected to the CoDeSys runtime with Ethernet
- Softing module for real-time Profinet IO implementations is connected to VxWorks via Profinet