Kontron Australia announces the release of the second new module in the ULP-COM (Ultra Low Power) standard, extending the successful and scalable Computer-on-Module concept to several ultra-low power and SFF smart devices.
Based on Freescale’s i. MX6 Series processors, the highly scalable Kontron ULP-COM-sAMX6i with single, dual or quad core ARM Cortex A9 technology covers an extremely wide performance range, enabling efficient development of scalable smart devices that need an extremely compact, fanless design with balanced processor and graphics performance.
The new Computer-on-Modules benefit OEMs by offering a standardised basis for the industrial environment with enhanced design security for the rapid and efficient development of mobile, energy-efficient embedded appliances with open standards software.
With an extended operational temperature range of -40°C to +85°C, and 10-year availability, the Kontron ULP-COM-sAMX6i Computer on Modules are designed for application environments demanding high ruggedness and long-term availability such as transportation, medical and military.
The new modules meet the requirements of widely differing application scenarios from outdoor kiosks through automotive applications up to robust battery-powered handheld devices with graphic user interfaces. The built-in Watchdog timer even enables use in mission-critical applications in the medical, security and military markets.
Key features of Kontron ULP-COM-sAMX6i Computer-on-Modules:
- Extremely compact footprint of the ULP-COM short form factor (82mm x 50mm)
- Integrates all core components including non-volatile memory for a rugged, closed system design without any moving components
- Standardised ULP-COM pin-out of the MXM 3.0 connector optimised for ultra-low-power applications
- Dedicated I/Os include Serial Peripheral Interface, I²S, MediaLB and CAN-Bus
- Available with 800 MHz single, dual and quad core processors of the Freescale iMX6 series
- Integrates one or two independent graphics engines with up to four 3D shaders for vivid 3D visuals and video de- and encoder to process HD videos up to 1080p @ 60 Hz
- Dual independent displays possible via parallel 18/24 bit LCD or 18/24 bit single-channel LVDS and HDMI
- Two MIPI-conforming camera inputs enable the use of device-specific video sensors
- Application-specific extensions can be integrated via up to three PCI- Express lanes, 3 x USB 2.0, 2 x SPI, 5x I²C and 2x CAN
- 1 x Media Local Bus 150, 2 x I2S and SPDIF for multimedia
- Storage media can be connected via SATA, SDIO and eMMC
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet port for networking
- Input voltage ranges from 3V up to 5.25 VDC
- Operates seamlessly with the Kontron ULP-COM Evaluation Carrier
- Support for the application-typical Linux, Android and later Windows Embedded Compact 7 operating systems