Kontron is premiering the Kontron Venturo vehicle management system at the InnoTrans in Berlin.
Kontron Venturo vehicle management system is an application-ready set of building blocks for all computing and communications tasks in buses and light rail trains in public transportation.
Kontron Venturo vehicle/ light rail management system offers solution providers, system houses and system integrators integrated embedded platforms for improved time-to-market; the platforms can be individually combined and also customised to meet specific requirements.
The EN50155-compliant Kontron Venturo vehicle management system for buses and light rail trains consists of three elements:
- Kontron Venturo CBox, the central management and communication computer
- Kontron Venturo HMI driver and passenger display unit with integrated ticket printer
- Kontron Venturo GBox, an audio and emergency call unit
Compared to most other platforms, which concentrate on decentralised in-vehicle applications, the integrated Kontron platform centralises all tasks such as ticketing, passenger information, location identification, data acquisition, vehicle and system diagnostics as well as internal and external communications management on a single platform.
This simplifies system integration and makes administration and maintenance extremely convenient, therefore reducing the total cost of ownership (TCO) of public transportation services.
Performance features such as the rugged, fanless design, high MTBF of 80,000 hours and a temperature range of -25ºC to +60ºC in addition to the intelligent cabling with minimised connector count for easier installation and improved Mean-Time-To-Repair (MTTR), facilitate smooth operation, further enhancing reliability and TCO.
Key features of Kontron Venturo CBox
- Central computing device to maintain the vehicle management system
- Based on the energy-efficient Intel Atom processor Z5xx with 1.1 GHz or 1.6 GHz and 1 to 4 GByte RAM
- Centralises all communication and computing tasks
- Internal UMTS module (HSxPA, UMTS, GPRS and EDGE)
- WiFi module for wireless networking with IEE 802.11/a/b/g WLANs
- GPS module with gyroscope and odometer interface for dead reckoning
- Rugged, 90-pin automotive connector handles all I/Os and power supply
- Up to four IP-based peripherals can be connected via four Fast Ethernet M12 connectors
- 50-pin DSUB connector bundles all communication signals and power supply to the Kontron Venturo HMI
Key features of Kontron Venturo HMI
- Central driver interface
- Sunlight-readable 8.4-inch SVGA (800 x 600 pixel) touch screen for intuitive handling and operational safety
- Ticket printer and 2-line fluorescent display for customer information integrated into the driver console
- Rugged IP64-protected enclosure and operational temperature range of 0ºC to +50ºC to withstand demanding cabin environments
- Optional RFID badge reader for driver identification/ authorisation allows two ISO 14443A/B-compliant RFID cards to be simultaneously read
Key features of Kontron Venturo GBox
- EN50155-compliant Kontron GSM-voice and audio box Venturo GBox combine emergency call functionality with an integrated audio switch
- Can be placed anywhere near the audio sources to minimise the amount of wiring
- Audio box takes over key security functions independent of the board computer
- Activation of one of two connectable emergency switches automatically initiates a voice connection via an integrated quad band GSM module for mobile communication
- Embedded JAVA processing unit based on an ARM 9 processor architecture