Kontron introduces two new Open Modular Core platforms in an updated program to help telecom equipment manufacturers (TEMs) migrate to 40G-ready ATCA platforms.
According to Kontron Australia, the rollout features two new carrier-grade 14-slot 10G and 40G ATCA platforms, the Kontron Open Modular Core OM9141-10G and Open Modular Core OM9141-40G.
TEMs can use both platforms integrated with new sophisticated and faster bladed data transport, switching and system management hardware as a starting point to build multiple new equipment configurations using CPU, NPU, DSP, storage and even specialised 3rd-party ATCA-based line cards that meet the requirements for 3G/4G, LTE, WIMAX, GPON and IPTV network elements.
Showcasing Kontron’s expertise in developing standard-based hardware components and integrated platforms for the telecommunications market, each integrated Kontron Open Modular Core platform includes redundant power entry modules, cooling infrastructure with hot swappable redundant fans and 10GbE or 40GbE switching capabilities based on the Kontron ATCA switch blades AT8910 and AT8940, each with platform synchronisation interfaces.
Kontron Open Modular Core platforms also feature built-in redundant Shelf Management with interoperability-tested Shelf Manager Cross Connects as per PICMG specification.
Also included is the optional systems management functionality based on the COM Express form factor, which resides on the Kontron ATCA switch blades AT8910/AT8940 for centralised system management with a standards-based HPI implementation.
A telco alarm panel provides telecom grade external system alarm notification.
Systems that can be built based on the Kontron 10G or 40G Open Modular Core platforms include:
- 3G/4G and LTE Network Elements
- GPON/EPON and Optical Transport Network Elements
- QoS and Test Platform Network Elements
- Service and Content Delivery platforms with Security and DPI functionality
Equipment vendors in the DPI market are recommended Kontron’s new high performance, dual packet processor (L2-L7) 40G ATCA blade AT8242 loaded with two OCTEON II MIPS64 32-core processors from Cavium Networks.
Open-standard 40G hardware and LTE EPC elements
Kontron 10G and 40G ATCA platforms offer developers a choice of hardware and software building blocks from an open standard ecosystem, allowing them to accomplish new design projects in anywhere between six and 18 months.
While the ATCA specification was conceived to support all-IP networks, it meets the following requirements for LTE:
- Ease of scalability and extensibility
- Intrinsic low latency packet switching
- IPv6 support
- 10GbE and 40GbE backplanes for network processing
- IPsec protection of the control plane and the user plane
- MPLS support
- SyncE and IEEE1588 support
IEEE 1588 (PTP) and Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE)
New all-IP mobile wireless network infrastructures are dependent on new ways to achieve network synchronisation such as Synchronised Ethernet.
Content delivery platforms need to provide not only voice but audio, HD video and real-time streaming content of MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) and MBMS (Multimedia Broadcast and Multicast Services).
For LTE and the IP-based packet switched EPC, there are two available synchronisation options, IEEE 1588 (PTP) and Synchronous Ethernet, both of which are supported on Kontron 10G/40G Open Modular Core platforms.
1588 (Precision Time Protocol) describes a hierarchical master-slave architecture for clock distribution while SyncE brings synchronisation to specific Ethernet applications.
Architectural features of Kontron Open Modular Core platforms:
- Both platforms deliver high performance switching and routing, and provide support for 12x 40GbE nodes and one redundant hub meeting NEBS and ETSI standards
- Up to 640 Gbps (Kontron OM9141-40G) non-blocking switching bandwidth
- Up to 320 Gbps (Kontron OM9141-10G) non-blocking switching bandwidth
- Separate switch silicon for Base and Fabric interface
- Support for 2x 40GbE Fabric Interface to the Rear Transition Module (RTM), also designed to support Synchronous Ethernet and IEEE 1588
- Front panel connectors: 4x 10GbE SFP+ Fabric Interface and 4x 10GbE SFP+ Base Interface uplinks
- Rear panel connectors (RTM support):
- 2x 1G SFP BI Interfaces
- 4x 10G SFP+ FI Interfaces (AT8910)
- 4x 10G SFP+ FI Interfaces + 1x 40G QSFP or 2x 40G QSFP (AT8940)
- Telco PLL (including optional SyncE support)
- 13U high, 19” with brackets for 19” equipment practice
- 12 available slots for Node Blades and RTMs
- Dual Star Platform configuration with 1GbE Base Interface and 1,10 or 40GbE Fabric Interface support
- Front to rear cooling supports 300W per slot plus 35W per RTM
- 4x hot-swappable fans and front pluggable air filter with redundant presence sensor
Open Modular Core Platforms – switch management overview
Switch management is supplied by Broadcom FASTPATH packages and numerous Kontron extensions, which support switching, QoS, IPv4 and IPv6 routing, IPv4/IPv6 multicast routing and selected protocols.
Kontron extensions include:
- Ethernet multicast switching protocols and functions such as GVRP, GARP, RSTP, LAG, IGMP Snooping, DiffServ and ACL
- IPv4 unicast and multicast routing, unicast forwarding protocols and functions such as ARP, OSPF, VRRP and RIP
- Multicast forwarding protocols and functions such as PIM-DM, PIM-SM, DVMRP and IGMP
- IPv6 unicast and multicast routing
- IPv6 unicast forwarding protocols and functions such as discovery, OSPFv3, MLD and 6to4/4to6 tunnelling
Kontron Open Modular Core platforms are targeted to host multiple applications using any specific mix of Kontron CPU, NPU and carrier blades in addition to several PICMG 3.0/3.1 compliant 3rd-party and certain proprietary blades.
Kontron products are available in Australia from Kontron Australia .