Kontron Australia announces the introduction of the new application-ready Kontron rugged RAID data server OBSERVO, specially designed for surveillance data recording in harsh environments that require integrated mass storage and data integrity.
Based on 3U CompactPCI technology, which offers modularity and longevity in a robust design, the Kontron OBSERVO data server can be configured to meet specific application needs for video, radar or sonar data recording in markets such as transportation, military, government and industrial automation.
OBSERVO’s turnkey platform can be configured with several feature and performance options allowing OEMs to concentrate on core competencies and improve time-to-market as well as overall quality of their surveillance solutions.
Kontron's rugged RAID data server OBSERVO incorporates a high-speed RAID array comprising up to eight SATA-II hard disks or Solid State Drives (SSDs).
The data recording server also features high availability as well as high shock and vibration resistance to fulfil the requirements of mobile and naval-based surveillance applications.
The Kontron OBSERVO can be configured with several different performance options such as Ethernet switch integration, extended duty drives and a range of communication options.
Conformal coating can also be included to protect the system against humidity and dust, which is especially relevant for EN50155 compliance and deployment in railway applications such as railway platform edge observation or video recording in local trains to prevent vandalism.
Kontron has developed two platform variants to meet the demands of individual application needs.
The first variant includes up to eight SATA-II hard disks or SSDs, while the second variant includes RAID 5 and up to four disk carriers enabling additional project-specific hardware functions via up to four dedicated CompactPCI boards.
Key features of the Kontron rugged RAID data server OBSERVO:
- Can be configured to accommodate an extended temperature range of -40ºC to +80ºC to deliver trouble-free 24/7 operation in extreme environmental conditions
- Rugged CompactPCI design with the high-performance backplane eliminates the need for internal cabling
- Hot swappable hard disk and SSD carriers minimise system maintenance in all application areas resulting in extremely high availability and lower total cost of ownership
- Housed in a 19-inch 3U system chassis with the high performance Kontron RAID controller module CP3693 at its core
- Data scalability, supervisory and recovery functions are supported by RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 10 or Just a Bunch Of Disks (JBOD) ensuring high data integrity and safety
- Kontron CompactPCI processor board CP307 serves as a system controller with a passively cooled 1.06GHz Intel Celeron M processor and 512MB of soldered RAM for fanless applications
- Alternatively, Kontron CompactPCI processor board CP305 with Intel Atom processor offers EN50155-compliant reliability for rolling-stock and rugged in-vehicle applications
- Any 3U CompactPCI processor board from Kontron’s portfolio can be selected when high processor speed and forced air cooling are needed
- All boards come with a CompactFlash card with pre-installed Linux or Windows image
- Ethernet switch available to handle communication to CCTV cameras or intelligent IP-based HMIs
- Inter-system communication is facilitated through a 4HP carrier equipped with conventional UMTS, GSM, GPS, LTE and WiFi modules
- Runs on Windows and Linux operating systems