Kontron is a specialist provider of embedded computing technology solutions for OEMs, systems integrators and application providers in a variety of markets.
The industrial temperature range SBC pairs an Intel Atom E600 series processor with an Altera Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) in a single package.
With the new Intel Atom E600C processor series, along with IP definable applications, the Kontron MICROSPACE MSMST adds significant flexibility to SBC-based applications.
Key benefits to OEM users include simplified application design, reduced development efforts, faster time-to-market and lower total cost of ownership.
Flexible FPGA I/O options allow OEMs to efficiently develop designs with the exact I/O requirements needed to address applications in markets such as automation, medical, transportation, energy, military and communications.
Validated IP cores are available for CAN-bus, serial interfaces (SPI Master/ UART) and PCI-Express, I2C and GPIO, making platform configuration a quick and easy task.
OEMs only need the required IP core and corresponding High-Speed Mezzanine Cards (HSMC) to carry out the interfaces. For further I/Os, Kontron offers FPGA programming services.
This flexibility, combined with the x86/FPGA technology ecosystem of IP cores and HSMCs makes the Kontron PCIe/104 MICROSPACE MSMST an ideal SBC for dedicated RISC platforms.
Dirk Finstel, CTO of Kontron AG explains that the launch of the Intel Atom E600C processor series with integrated Altera FPGA marks a new era in embedded computing where customers get the flexibility of an FPGA with attractive x86 performance on an integrated multi-chip module.
Since the standard chipset is no longer needed, it paves the way for even more cost-efficient dedicated applications, which obtain their new range of functions simply via FPGA programming.
He adds that customers profit from faster upgrades, more flexibility and long-term guaranteed IP availability over lifecycles of dedicated components.
Doug Davis, vice president and general manager, Embedded and Communications Group, Intel says that their configurable Atom processor series provides additional flexibility for customers who want the choice to customise embedded solutions with proprietary I/O or acceleration.
With the latest Intel Atom processors powering the Kontron single board computer, developers may differentiate their designs by reacting quickly to changing market segment requirements and meet the varied needs of embedded devices.
The collaboration between Kontron, Intel and Altera provides customers with complete embedded processor and FPGA solutions with flexible I/O. These fully validated and verified solutions consist of various form factors such as processors, FPGAs, IP Cores, drivers, board support packages (BSPs) and support for various operating systems.
Kontron’s Global Software Design Center also offers FPGA programming as an optional software service for customers.
In addition, Kontron offers complete design and production services with revision controls, supply chain management, regulatory test services and industry-specific requirements such as ITAR or ISO 13485 medical device manufacturing.
Key features of PCIe/104 embedded single board computers
- Intel Atom E600C processor series ranging up to 1.3 GHz with up to 2 GB onboard DRAM system memory
- MICROSPACE MSMST is industrial temperature capable by design with all components validated for extended temperature range from -40ºC to +85ºC
- Power optimised Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (Intel GMA 600) with up to 128 MByte, 18/24 Bit LVDS and SDVO interface is integrated in the processor
- Video signals are carried out by optional media boards for VGA or DVI
- Optional SPDIF (out) and two analogue stereo connections for line-out and mic-in support high-definition audio signals
- Storage media can be connected by 2x SATA300; 2 x USB 2.0 with optional 1x Gigabit LAN also available
- Integration of numerous customer-specific I/O options is enabled via the PCI Express bus of the PCIe/104 SBC or via the HSMC interface
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is responsible for the high-level of security and reliability by carrying out hardware encryption of all the transmitted data