Kontron, a specialist in embedded computing technology introduces the 40GbE ATCA packet processor blade designed with two powerful OCTEON II cnMIPS64 multi-core processors from Cavium Networks.
Representing the third generation of Kontron products based on the OCTEON family of multi-core processors, the AT8242 packet processor blade is designed for telecom equipment manufacturers seeking highly efficient, dense and open standard 40G bladed hardware.
Kontron AT8242 packet processor blade manages complex networking functions and can easily scale to meet with the expected exponential growth of converged voice, video and data traffic over IP-based networks.
Key features of the Kontron AT8242 40GbE ATCA packet processor blade:
- Two OCTEON II CN6880 processors, each integrating 32 enhanced cnMIPS64 v2 cores with up to 48GHz of 64-bit computing power in a single chip
- Combines over 85 L3-L7 application acceleration engines, virtualisation features, 100Gbps of connectivity and a new
- Real Time Power Optimizer Real Time Power Optimizer dynamically adjusts power depending upon the application-level processing requirement
- Can be used in combination with new Kontron 14-slot ATCA platforms OM9141-40G and/or OM9141-10G
- Versatile design allows use in many core and edge network applications, particularly Packet Data Network Gateways (PGW), Serving Gateways (SGW) and Mobility Management Entity (MME) network elements found in the 4G LTE Evolved Packet Core (EPC)
Growth in mobile data traffic networks will require more efficient and powerful deterministic processing of applications such as packet processing, deep packet content inspection (RegEx), application-aware switching and routing, parsing, IPv6/IPv4 forwarding, compression/decompression, classification, and Quality-of-Service (QoS) at 40Gbps wire-speed.
Enhanced powerful 64-bit cores from Cavium Networks
Cavium Networks has redesigned its cores from the previous generation to offer a significantly better TCP and control plane performance per core with the OCTEON II multi-core processors.
In addition to enhanced MIPS cores, the processors also feature new dedicated hardware blocks, more memory, cache set associativity up to 37-way and a variety of new interfaces.
Key features of the CN6880 OCTEON II processors:
- Linked via Interlaken x4 interfaces
- Provides up to 48GHz of compute performance
- Offers 37KB I-cache and 32KB D-cache operating at up to 1.5GHz
- Processing and interface architecture is capable of 40Gbit/s duplex line rate processing and 20Gbit/s data compression
- Inbuilt DPI engines can handle 40Gbit/s of application recognition independent of the number of rules and flows
- DPI functions handled by Cavium Networks’ Hyper-Finite Automata (HFA) engines
- Supports 4MB of partitionable L2 cache using a HyperConnect cross-bar with more than 6 Tbps throughput ensuring lower latency and improved I/O traffic performance
- Each cnMIPS64 core has a dedicated 37KB L1 l-cache and 32KB L1 D-cache
- Virtualisation support provided to enable multiple instances of operating systems (OS) and other software running on top of those OSs on the same multi-core processor
- OCTEON II silicon also employs Cavium’s new innovative Real Time Power Optimizer
Kontron AT8242 blade level design
- AT8242 complies with PICMG 3.0 R3.0, PICMG 3.1 R1.0, PICMG 3.1 R2.0, IPMI v2.0 and RoHS
- Each OCTEON II is supported by one USB Flash drive (16GB) and 4 DDR3 DIMM sockets each supporting 32GB address range for a total of up to 256GB for both processors
- Each processor supports 2x 20Gbps and 2x 10Gbps for a total of up to 60Gbps to an Ethernet Multilayer Switch with bandwidth capacity of up to 320Gbps
- Front panel access:
- 2x RS232 RJ45 ports, one to each OCTEON II processor
- 1x RS232 RJ45 port to the switch management processor
- 1x 10/100/1000Base-T via RJ45 port to the switch management processor
- Two available Rear Transition Module (RTM) units, each with different connector configurations:
- RTM8242 featuring 84 Gbps bandwidth with 8 SFP+ (FI) and 4x GbE SFP (BI) connectors
- RTM8940 featuring up to 2x 40G QSFP (FI), 2x 1G SFP (BI), 4x 10G SFP+ (FI) with LRM support, and optional Telco PLL
The AT8242 packet processor blade is available in Australia from Kontron Australia .