Kontron Australia announces the introduction of the powerful AdvancedMC processor module AM4150.
Equipped with a 64-bit Dual Core Freescale QorIQ P5020 CPU running at up to 2.2 GHz and high-speed fabrics, the new Kontron AM4150 AdvancedMC processor modules offer excellent performance on MicroTCA integrated platforms and as a daughter compute-intensive module board in ATCA platforms.
Kontron AM4150 AdvancedMC processor modules incorporate the high-performance Freescale QorIQ P5020 dual core processor with cores based on the e5500 Power Architecture. High processing requirements are met with high-speed frame managers and multiple high-speed connections such as Serial Rapid IO (1.3/2.1) and PCI Express.
A fast dual-channel memory of up to 8 GB ECC DDR3 RAM in the Kontron AM4150 supports maximum throughput and low latency.
According to Mario Anich, product manager at Kontron, the overall goal when designing the MicroTCA.0 compliant AM4150 was to offer high single threaded performance as well as longevity.
Suitable for applications requiring maximum core frequency such as reusing legacy code or writing software in a monolithic way, the Kontron AM4150 incorporates the e5500 core architecture that delivers a 20% efficiency gain over the predecessor e500mc.
Additionally, the data path acceleration architecture handles packet processing tasks, which removes load from the core. Targeted control and storage applications are found in networking and wireless infrastructure projects including in the defence or industrial markets.
The superior multicore performance makes it a compelling module to support fixed and mobile network applications developed by telecom equipment manufacturers (TEMs).
The Kontron AM4150 provides flexible configuration of high-speed fabrics. On AMC ports 4-7, 4x SERDES lines can be configured either as PCI Express (root complex or end point) or Serial Rapid IO (host or agent), primarily for applications that require close programming to the chip without extensive overhead and with minimum latencies.
AMC ports 8-11 may be configured either for Serial Rapid IO or PCI Express or up to 3x GbE.
Kontron also offers a choice of MicroTCA systems for the Kontron AM4150. For instance the Kontron OM6060 can be used as an entry level platform for operating the Kontron AM4150 with point to point fabrics PCIe and SRIO in combination with the Kontron basic MCH AM4901, which provides Ethernet connectivity to all AMC slots.
For higher demands, the Kontron MicroTCA system OM6120 provides multiple connections over SRIO for up to 12 AMCs in combination with the Kontron sRIO MCH AM4904.
Key features of Kontron AM4150 AdvancedMC processor modules:
- Supports three Gigabit Ethernet channels, either 2x GbE on AMC ports 0, 1 plus 1x GbE at the front or 2xGbE at the front and port 0 on the backplane
- Supports usage in systems with or without a MicroTCA Carrier Hub (MCH) to reduce costs and speed up system development
- Micro SDHC card socket protects from regular flash discontinuation
- Different boot options available, either from the Micro SDHC card or from the soldered NOR or NAND Flash (for rugged applications)
- 6-slot to 14-slot AdvancedTCA Open Modular Core Platforms
- Compatible with the Kontron 10G AT8404 Carrier Blade, featuring four AMC bays supporting AMC.0 rev 2, AMC.2, AMC.3, and AMC.4
- Supports VxWorks 6.9, WindRiver Linux, as well as Wind River Hypervisor