Konecranes overhead and monorail cranes at Tasmanian brewer J Boag & Son were fitted with radio remote controls to ensure precision and operator safety when lifting and positioning the loads.
J Boag, a famous brewer in Launceston employs a Konecranes single-girder CXTS overhead crane with a wire rope hoist in the hop room. The one-tonne crane with a 4.34m span is used for manoeuvring bags containing brewing additives into position over the dissolving tanks. A Konecranes radio-controlled XN electric chain hoist on an XNM monorail is used for lifting a bowl out of a separator, as part of the beer-making process.
Konecranes heavy-duty radio remote controls were fitted as standard to the monorail hoist and the CXTS crane when they were installed during a recent upgrade at J Boag.
John Hansson, Branch Manager Tasmania for Konecranes explains that the radio remotes allow the operators freedom of movement, enabling them to have the best view of the cranes and loads without compromising personal safety.
J Boag’s Services & Utilities Manager Andrew Mitchell said the Konecranes overhead crane and monorail with remote controls were working well for the brewery.
Konecranes also has a maintenance contract for the five cranes at J Boag, servicing not just its own cranes but those of other suppliers.
CXT and CXTS (single-girder) cranes with individual hoist capacities up to 80 tons and complementary CXT wire rope hoists are designed to be industry benchmarks of safety and ergonomics, with easy and effective load handling and optimum dimensions for space saving solutions.
The Konecranes XN electric chain hoists are purpose-built to meet and exceed industrial requirements, and to provide a reliable solution to specific lifting needs. The XN hoist has been designed for maximum safety and comfort and has a range of additional features for customisation.
Key features of CXT overhead cranes:
- Minimal headroom requirement, useful in space-constrained applications
- Can operate closer to the walls and lift the load higher
- Inverter controls deliver smooth starts, acceleration and deceleration, minimising load swing and enabling fast, safe and accurate load positioning
- Konecranes Dynafamily inverter controls and pole changing controls as standard options for crane and trolley
- High performance hoisting motors with 60% ED rating combine extra power with superior cooling characteristics
- Gears of extreme accuracy, featuring hardened and ground helical gearwheels with semi-fluid lubrication and corrosion-proof housing for trouble-free operation
- Fast and accurate load positioning with True Lift as standard, where the hook moves horizontally only 5mm during a 1m lift
- Ergonomic hook design makes rigging of the load safer
- CXT hoists with a large rope drum diameter, reduces the stress and wear of the lifting rope
- Durable adjustment-free and dust-proof high performance brakes for safety and bottom-line reliability
- Available in single and double girder construction with profile or box girder design
- Increases productivity
- Reduces the risk of accidents
- Totally sealed and electrically shielded, resistant to demanding industrial environments
- Suited for outdoor use
- Offers the possibility of building totally customised systems