A new 55-ton double girder overhead crane from Konecranes featuring the safety and precision of sway control has been installed at Veyance Belting of Bayswater, Victoria to replace a 40-ton crane.
Veyance Belting is Australia’s only manufacturer of Goodyear Engineered Products. The factory in Bayswater has been manufacturing and supplying Goodyear-branded conveyor belting to the Australian mining and materials handling industry since 1965.
According to Veyance Plant Engineer Hong Koh, the new Konecranes overhead crane typically lifts 32-36 tonne loads of coiled conveyor belting on and off their processing machinery and onto delivery trucks.
The installation took only four days with the Konecranes team setting up the two girders by the afternoon of the first day and spending the remainder of the time fitting the electrical connections, testing and commissioning the crane.
Konecranes Industrial Sales - Tony Piggott and Business Development Officer Ivan Stancik formally handed over the new crane to Veyance Belting in November 2011.
The sway control in Konecranes’ double girder cranes minimises swinging or swaying of the load, modifying the crane operator’s speed command so that the requested speed is reached without end swing. This feature reduces the operator’s stress about load sway and helps achieve accurate and efficient load positioning.
Mr Koh adds that the sway control feature facilitates increased safety in crane movements for their operators while allowing them to move the load at a quicker pace.
Veyance is extremely satisfied with the performance of their new Konecranes overhead crane and would recommend it to other companies. The company also intends to buy another crane in 2014.
Speaking about the installation, Konecranes Project Manager James Alamade said that the crane had to be installed during Veyance Belting’s planned shut period, which meant coordinating their component factory, suppliers, engineering, and the installation crew to come together to meet the planned installation date.
Installer Gary Meale, Konecranes Gippsland Service Supervisor Matt Kieser, and Melbourne Senior Technician Gurvinder Singh were part of the installation team.
Key features and benefits of Konecranes’ double girder overhead cranes:
- High performance hoisting motors with 60% ED rating combine extra power with superior cooling characteristics
- Hoisting motors have the power and flexibility for temporary peak usage situations
- Built-in durability combined with gears of extreme accuracy incorporating hardened and ground helical gearwheels and corrosion-proof housing for long-term trouble-free operation
- Fast and accurate load positioning with True Lift as standard allows the hook to move only 5mm horizontally during a 1m lift
- Innovative mechanical design of the hoists with a large rope drum diameter and a short drum length minimises horizontal travel of the hook during lowering
- Ergonomic hook design makes rigging of the load safer
- Rope drum to rope diameter ratio is more than double that of conventional designs
- Innovative hoist design with a large rope drum diameter reduces the stress and wear of the lifting rope
- Durable adjustment-free and dust-proof high performance brakes for safety and bottom-line reliability
- Can be equipped with a second brake for special demanding applications
- Excellent hook approaches at both ends of the crane with minimal headroom requirement
- Space-saving design enables the crane to operate closer to the walls and lift the load higher