The new Konecranes Boxrunner straddle carriers offer unique container handling performance in two distinct container handling operations, flexibly linking terminal quayside container unloading operations with yard stacking operations.
Terminal quayside container unloading operations are represented by large container terminal operators that are adopting automation technology for greater efficiency.
Yard stacking operations on the other hand, are represented by a potentially diverse range of companies that do not have container handling as a core competence.
These companies handle incoming and outgoing materials in containers, often using trucks and trailers or custom-engineered, stationary gantry cranes.
Konecranes’ Boxrunner straddle carriers can be a much more effective solution for their container handling needs.
Boxrunner’s design process began with customer feedback on their ideal straddle carrier.
Jens Andreas, General Manager, Konecranes Straddle Carriers says that the Boxrunner incorporates feedback from their container handling customers and has been designed as a uniquely advanced straddle carrier with a high lifecycle value.
With advantages such as speed, excellent handling, durability, operator friendliness, low maintenance with long service intervals and low total cost of ownership, the Boxrunner is a machine for professionals in the container handling industry.
Key features of the Boxrunner straddle carriers:
- Enables large container terminal operators to flexibly and efficiently move containers from ship-to-shore (STS) cranes to automated stacking cranes (ASCs)
- Adapted to handle all ISO container sizes, stacking two-high at high speed
- All key components are designed and manufactured in-house to ensure they work together flawlessly
- Built around a very rigid structure that provides excellent handling performance and direct steering
- Powered by a diesel-electric (DE) drive and rope hoist system
- 50T twin twenty lift machine and 40T single lift machine with 30km/h travel speed and 25m/minute hoist speed
- Employs proven rope and drum hoisting technology from Konecranes’ popular rubber tyred gantry cranes (RTGs) and rail mounted gantry cranes (RMGs)
- Electronic hydraulic system with 4-cylinder steering for less tyre wear, fewer spare parts, greaseless gantry and low maintenance
- Ergonomically designed driver’s cabin with excellent visibility
- Simple controls and displays help to ensure safety, accuracy and speed for operator
Jost Dämmgen, Sales Manager, Port Cranes comments that Boxrunner is a technologically advanced machine with driver-friendly and maintenance-friendly features.
He adds that the Boxrunner exceeds expectations for drive feel and performance in addition to reliability, safety and maintenance.
Andreas concludes by saying that the versatility of the Boxrunner eliminates the need for other container transport equipment, a key benefit in space-constrained ports and quays.