Konecranes is providing crane maintenance services to Xstrata at its Abbot Point Bulk Coal Terminal One near Bowen in Queensland.
Konecranes is effectively meeting the challenges of maintaining an ageing crane stock for Xstrata in the salt air environment of Abbot Point. Konecranes provides quarterly inspections, remedial work and certifications on 27 overhead cranes of a number of makes and types at the terminal operated by Abbot Point Bulk Coal, a subsidiary of Xstrata.
According to Geoff Malone, Townsville and Mount Isa Service Manager for Konecranes, the company was able to secure the maintenance contract thanks to the trust held by their customers.
Konecranes is servicing a wide range of cranes at Abbot Point including ship loaders, transfer conveyors and other bulk handling equipment employed in loading coal produced by Xstrata, which is one of the world’s largest mining and metals companies, operating in more than 20 countries.
Duncan Robertson, Maintenance Planner for Xstrata Abbot Point explains that Konecranes inspects their cranes every three months and gives them a defect report. Repairs are then organised for the defects, which can take up to a week with the Konecranes maintenance crew on site. During the course of the repair work, Konecranes technicians base themselves in nearby Bowen.
Abbot Point is two hours’ drive from Townsville, enabling the technicians to reach the site quickly in the event of any breakdowns. Mr Robertson also pointed out the specific maintenance challenges of the oceanic location including the salty air that can corrode the machinery as well as the ageing fleet of cranes, which have been in place for 20+ years.
A key advantage with working with Konecranes is that the crane maintenance company is not only able to supply service parts for a variety of crane types and brands, but also knows how to work on them. Mr Robertson adds that they would recommend Konecranes to other companies needing crane inspections and maintenance.
Konecranes’ crane maintenance services:
- Customised compliance program for lifting equipment to monitor, repair or replace items in accordance with local regulations and laws
- Preventive maintenance programs help prevent equipment safety issues, breakdowns and compliance violations, as well as component failure
- Predictive maintenance programs help companies reduce unexpected repairs, emergency repair costs and unbudgeted equipment purchases
- Reliability-based maintenance programs using innovative maintenance software enable Konecranes to track the history of equipment, establishing breakdown and equipment failure patterns and allowing them to modify or upgrade existing components
- Full maintenance agreements allow companies to have a fully managed staff ready to take care of complete crane equipment and maintenance needs