South Australia’s leading steel profile cutter, Ferrocut has installed Konecranes CXT overhead cranes at its new factory and warehouse complex to increase efficiency and operator safety.
Ferrocut’s new factory and warehouse complex is located in the Techport Australia industry hub near Adelaide, the base for ASC, Australia’s largest defence shipbuilding organisation, which is delivering the Royal Australian Navy’s next generation $8 billion Hobart-class Air Warfare Destroyers.
The industry hub includes a 35-hectare supplier precinct for sub-contractors such as Ferrocut to establish operations and develop strong and efficient supply chains.
In addition to processing ship plate for the ASC, Ferrocut is supplying cut steel plate from its new facility to a broad range of industry customers including engineering, infrastructure and mining groups. The six new CXT overhead cranes supplied by Konecranes are being used to lift and transport steel plates and cut steel parts.
Some of the cranes have innovative anti-sway controls that are installed on only about half-a-dozen overhead cranes in Australia. Two of the cranes are fitted with Trunninger plate magnets, facilitating easy lifting and moving of large loads.
According to Emile Ellens, Equipment Manager for Ferrocut, the company was using Konecranes overhead cranes for the first time. The cranes were selected based on the Konecranes reputation and equipment quality.
Some of the advantages of Konecranes CXT overhead cranes for Ferrocut include:
- Smooth operation, both longitudinally down the warehouse and also in the bogey movements across the warehouse
- Dual hoists on the production cranes allow lifting of steel plates from two points instead of one, preventing the plates from rotating
- Safer and more efficient handling of steel plates
- Anti-sway feature prevents the load from swaying during travel, and takes some of the pressure off crane operators
- Electro-magnets fitted in two cranes increase efficiency and productivity, because chains are not needed to lift the plates
- Strongly engineered beam structure
One of the major producers of overhead cranes and lifting equipment, Konecranes has built its highly advanced safety, ergonomic and reliability technologies into its high performance CXT series of industrial cranes and wire rope hoists.
CXT cranes with individual hoist capacities up to 80 tons are designed to be industry benchmarks of safety and ergonomics, with easy and effective load handling and optimum dimensions for maximising the hook travel.
Konecranes industrial cranes and hoists are used by many industries including automotive production, energy and resources, manufacturing, metal and mineral processing, primary product and paper processing as well as ports and infrastructure projects globally.
Konecranes National Sales and Marketing Manager Warren Ashton says that the company has established a track record of several industry innovations including the CXT crane design.
The advanced design of the CXT hoist has also reduced the number of maintenance and wear items, lowering the cost of ownership for the end user.
Key features of Konecranes CXT overhead cranes:
- Excellent hook approaches at both ends of the crane with minimal headroom requirement
- Designed to eliminate unused or under-utilised space since the crane can operate closer to the walls and lift the load higher
- Inverter controls deliver smooth starts, acceleration and deceleration, minimising load swing and enabling fast and accurate load positioning
- Konecranes Dynafamily inverter controls and pole changing controls are standard options for crane and trolley travelling on CXT cranes
- High performance hoisting motors with 60% ED rating, which combine extra power with superior cooling characteristics
- Hardened and ground helical gearwheels with semi-fluid lubrication and corrosion-proof housing for trouble-free operation
- Innovative mechanical design of the CXT hoists with a large rope drum diameter and a short drum length resulting in minimal horizontal travel of the hook during lowering
- Ergonomic hook design makes rigging of the load safer, while the rope drum to rope diameter ratio is more than double that of conventional designs
- Innovative design of CXT hoists with a large rope drum diameter reduces the stress and wear of the lifting rope
- Durable adjustment-free and dust-proof high performance brakes for safety and bottom-line reliability
- Available in single and double girder construction with profile or box girder design to meet specific load handling capacity and factory size requirements
- Top connections and underhung main girder connections are available for different building heights and constructions