KINGSTON Technology has released its new U3 DataTraveler line of USB smart drives, initially shipping in 512MB and 1GB capacities.
Based on the innovative U3 smart drive computing platform, the Kingston U3 DataTraveler creates a secure workspace.
Built into the smart drive, the U3 launchpad – similar to a Start Menu – allows the user to launch programs, add/remove software, change computer settings or preferences, manage storage capacity and monitor programs.
"With the launch of the Kingston U3 DataTraveler, we are opening up a whole new world of smart drive computing whereby any PC user moving between various locations and Windows 2000 SP4 or XP-based systems has the freedom to work with their own personal workspace, carried on a device small enough to fit on a keychain," said Regional Manager, Kingston Technology, Keith Hamilton.
"Our goal is to allow the portable computing experience to be available to nearly anyone at an affordable price. With the U3 DataTraveler, this is a significant step in making that a reality.”
"Mobile workers will be thrilled to access personal email, photo organisers, music players, graphics software and productivity applications on their U3 smar6t drives, wherever they go," said U3 Chief Executive Officer, Kate Purmal.
"By building its new U3 DataTraveler smart drive from the U3 platform, Kingston offers consumers and professionals private and secure access to their personal workspace, all with the renowned performance and durability of the Kingston brand."
The combination of a new U3 smart drive platform and Kingston's popular DataTraveler, offers consumers more than portable file/data storage.
These drives can be personalised with software that is relevant to the way they work – conveniently carrying and launching a wide variety of U3 smart software applications, including productivity, multi-media, backup/security, games, medical, utilities, photo imaging and graphic design software available at www.u3.com as well as via one click directly from the U3 launchpad.
Compatible with both Windows 2000 SP4 and XP, the new U3 DataTraveler smart drive solutions offer password-protected data security, a five year warranty and 24x7 telephone technical support.
Kingston's DataTraveler units are colour-coded in silver with purple grips for the 512MB version (Part# DTIU3/512FE) and silver with black grips for 1GB capacities (Part # DTIU3/1GBFE).
Features and specifications of the U3 DataTraveler include:
* Dimensions 66.9mm x 20.4mm x 9.0mm
* Operating temperature 0°C to 60°C
* Storage temperature -20°C to 85°C
* Efficient data transfer rates of up to 6MB/s read and up to 3MB/s write
* Compliant – design based on the U3 platform and hi-speed USB 2.0 specifications
* Easy to use – intuitive U3 launchpad runs U3 smart software applications, manages functions and cleans up activities on the host system
* Flexible – U3 launchpad can operate in six languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Japanese
* Secure – includes password protection when used with Windows 2000 SP4 and XP systems
* Convenient – pocket-sized for easy transportability
* Simple – plug and play into any available USB port
* Practical – end cap fits neatly on device base to prevent damage
* Fashionable – available in two colours: 512MB silver with purple grips and 1GB silver with black grips
* Guaranteed – five year warranty.
Kingston's new U3 DataTravelers are available from Kingston's Australian distributors, Simms International, Ingram Micro and Synnex.