NASHVILLE Tempered Glass (NTG) recently moved to a new ERP system to meet demands from existing and new clients. After a selection process, NTP identified an ERP system that best suited its needs and addressed their selection criteria, such as improving plant floor efficiencies.
However, this system only used infinite capacity scheduling methodology and addressed the material and accounting needs of NTP.
Furthermore, while NTG understood that unnecessary inventory accumulation, increasing WIP queue, and high expedite costs were inherent in most ERP infinite capacity scheduling systems, they could not afford such luxuries.
Due to time and cost constraints NTG knew that choosing a finite scheduling system that was easy to implement and integrate with its main system was of paramount importance, so they chose The Planner supplied by Keyvak Pty Ltd .
NTG’s supply chain director, Michael Hobbs said that once he had reviewed The Planner and its capabilities, “it was an easy choice”.
Mr Hobbs said he didn't have the luxury of spending months setting up and implementing a complicated system. NTG had already implemented a new ERP system and wanted to take full advantage of the access to information, but not be constrained by many of the deficiencies associated with infinite capacity scheduling methodologies.
The Planner was ready to go, out of the box, and was already integrated with the new ERP system, said Mr Hobbs. He said it was also easy to use and even easier for employees to learn and understand.
Mr Hobbs says that with The Planner the effects of a schedule change are immediate. NTG can now immediately identify which jobs will become late due to a schedule change and how the desired change will alter the WIP queues.
As a result of implementation of The Planner, NTG has:
* Improved its inventory turns
* Reduced its WIP queues
* Reduced direct labour and costs
* Increased machine utilisation.
* The Planner CD features more than six hundred pages of documentation including detailed installation documentation
* Implementation services and expertise are available
* Schedules and reports are available through an internal intranet site using Crystal reports. Crystal report templates are provided free of charge with The Planner software
* The Planner runs on Microsoft Windows XP
* The Planner's multi-viewing system will run on MS Access, MS Sql Server, Oracle, or Progress.
Keyvak Pty Ltd supplied The Planner to NTG to help them fill a gap in their ERP system needs. The Planner’s success at NTG confirms the quality of this unique finite capacity scheduling software.