A comprehensive audio visual system sourced from Jands is part of the multi-million dollar transformation of the historical Exchange Hotel in Townsville that also includes five themed areas, a bistro and a nightclub.
North Queensland Audio Visual (NQAV) supplied and installed the audio visual solution for the venue that included the design, supply, installation and commissioning of a vast array of equipment into the multiple zones.
Darryl Byrne, NQAV’s Sales Manager said that the audio visual system needed to be flexible as the project had a short deadline and several changes had to be made to the plan since the building structure was old.
Jands, a leading Australian distributor of lighting and sound equipment supplied a diverse range of equipment from multiple brands.
Highlights of the audio equipment installation:
- JBL speakers from the Control series were supplied throughout the venue
- Two Control 29AVs, two Control 25AVs and one Sub210 were used in the Jade Bar designed as a function room
- Two local wired inputs for local sources such as DJs or Karaoke in the Jade Bar
- Three Control 25AVs at the Long Bar, a public bar
- Two Control 25AVs at the Bistro for background music, also with a local input
- Four Control 29AVs at the Tiger Bar with two local wired inputs
- Nightclub Zanzi set up in stereo for DJs
- Two hanging JBL AM4212 speakers and two JBL MRX518 subs providing over 8000 watts at peak or 1670 watts continuous for the front of house system
- Seven Control 29AVs operating as fills on top of the front of house system
- A 16 send and 4 return cable snake installed from the stage to the DJ booth, connecting a 24-channel Soundcraft mixing desk
- Additional 8 channels utilised by three Shure SLX Beta 58 wireless microphones and local inputs from the DJ booth such as a PC, CDJ or effect processors
- Shure DMK-52 drum mic kit, SM94, two Beta 57 and four Beta 58 microphones supplied to reduce ongoing hire costs
- Four dbx 31-band equalisers and a JBL EON315 powered speaker supplied to match existing fully functional powered speakers for foldback
- Four dbx DB12 active DIs used to connect keyboard and acoustic guitar to the mixing desk
- BSS BLU160 and BLU BOB control audio switching for the whole venue
- Connections were also provided for:
- 5 Nightlife systems
- 3 Austar decoders
- 5 set top boxes for free-to-air television audio
- 1 Shure SLX wireless microphone with reception across the whole site
- Output of the 24-channel mixing desk
- Crown amplifiers to amplify the signal and match the quality of the JBL speakers
The audio system designed by NQAV was based on providing outstanding flexibility, functionality and good quality sound over.
Lighting systems installed by NQAV included two JLX Pro 2.35m lighting bars joined together to provide 12 outlets across 4.7m. Depending on the lighting fixtures, the outlets run down to a wall-mounted patch system into a 12-channel dimmer or directly into a 240V power point.