The audio installation at the new Metricon Stadium in Carrara was executed by The PA People and included a wide range of JBL speakers.
The new $144m Metricon Stadium has been developed as part of the AFL's expansion into the Gold Coast and is operated by the Gold Coast SUNS. Designed by Populous and built by Watpac, the audio systems were installed by The PA People.
The stadium is a multipurpose facility that currently seats 25,000 spectators and will be capable of accommodating up to 40,000 seats in the future. Metricon Stadium features an AFL oval that will also be capable of holding ICC cricket matches, concerts, festivals, IAAF athletics events and FIFA World Cup soccer matches.
The PA People opted for a successful formula that they have used in other stadiums designed around a variety of JBL speakers. The stadium has grandstands around three-quarters of its perimeter with an open Northern end where the scoreboard is situated.
Brett Steele, Installed Systems Manager for The PA People explains that there are twenty clusters to deal with in the grandstand seated areas with each cluster comprising of three JBL AE series boxes with WRC weatherproofing.
By giving plenty of options in both SPL capability and pattern, JBL’s AE range allowed them to design a cluster of cabinets based on the architecture of the particular stadium.
The audio installation by The PA People included:
- AE Series, high powered two-way and three-way cluster configurations with WRC and WRX weatherisation treatment
- 100 JBL Control 29AV boxes deployed for underfill around the lower part of the ground
- 40 JBL Control 29AV speakers service the concourse area in the east and southern areas
- 12 JBL CBT 100j and 18 JBL CBT 50j speakers supply audio to the areas outside of the ground
- 2 JBL PD5212 WRX speakers with extreme weather protection for the end zone
- 78 JBL Control 24CTM and 38 JBL Control 25T speakers used as part of the fire evacuation system
- Front of House audio system driven by 24 Crown MA5000i amplifiers
- Soundcraft LX7ii console for portable applications
- JBL EON10G boxes for foldback
- 3 Shure PSM900 IEM systems and five Shure ULXP radio mic systems
Audio systems from JBL, Crown, Soundcraft and Shure are available from Jands , a leading Australian distributor of professional sound systems as well as lighting and staging equipment.