The 2010 Commonwealth Games opened in Delhi, India with a large, multi-array JBL VerTec line array system powered by Crown I-Tech HD amplifiers to support the opening ceremonies.
Audio production companies Norwest Productions (Australia) and Sound.com (India) collaborated to implement Auditoria’s sophisticated event system design in the field. Key components of the audio system included line array elements, subwoofers, amplifiers, speakers and column speakers.
The impressive sound system successfully filled the Nehru Stadium in New Delhi, occupied by more than 60,000 spectators and nearly 5,000 athletes.
With major games ceremonies such as the Athens 2004 Olympics, Doha 2006 Asian Games and the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games behind him, Scott Willsallen of Auditoria was contracted by the Organising Committee for the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games to design and manage the audio system for both the opening and closing ceremonies.
Twenty-five distributed JBL VerTec arrays lined the stadium to ensure everyone from the floor seats to the upper levels fully enjoyed the entertainment.
Key features of the audio system:
- Eight of the JBL VerTec arrays featured three JBL VT4889 full-size line array elements and 17 contained three VT4888 midsize line array elements
- Each array included a full-size VerTec arrayable subwoofer
- 102 Crown amplifiers including 92 I-Tech HD amplifiers powered the JBL VerTec rig
- Harman’s HiQnet System Architect system software was used for configuration, remote control and monitoring of the system
Audio system for the field of play:
- 25 JBL SRX712M speakers were used for the performers’ monitor system
- 32 JBL CBT70J column speakers and JBL SRX718S subwoofers enabled athletes on the field to experience the event’s sound
- JBL VRX915M monitor wedges were utilised for musical performances on the main stage
Norwest teamed up with a Mumbai-based sound production company, Sound.com to supply the entire audio package and crew for the Delhi Games’ opening and closing ceremonies.
Willsallen says that Norwest Productions and Sound.com combined their resources and skills to deliver an excellent audio system, which met the performance requirements of his design as well as budget considerations.
JBL VerTec line arrays are available from Jands , a major Australian distributor of professional sound systems as well as lighting and stage equipment.