Leading yacht racing competitor Emirates Team New Zealand used SolidWorks 3D CAD software to design and develop a competitive racing yacht.
Involving a high level of design complexity, the yacht development had to be completed in a very challenging timeframe.
Emirates Team New Zealand develops competitive racing yachts for America's Cup and has won the honour in 1995 as well as in 2000.
With the intention to race again in 2007, the team decided to develop a competitive racing yacht using SolidWorks 3D design software.
Highlights of the design process using the SolidWorks design software suite:
- Designed components, structures and hardware using the software
- SolidWorks Simulation software used to analyse highly loaded appendages
- SolidWorks and SolidWorks Simulation significantly reduced the time and cost of building expensive prototypes of the keel and other key equipment
- User-friendly GUI helped team engineers to quickly test new concepts
- PDMWorks product data management tool used to manage voluminous design data
- Shortened design time by designing and testing products during the design stage
- Reduced costs by testing products before prototyping
- Improved management of large amounts of design data with PDMWorks, ensuring design accuracy and maintaining tight revision and version control
- Validated strength of components with SolidWorks Simulation
- SolidWorks Simulation
- SolidWorks Workgroup PDM
- SolidWorks Standard
- SolidWorks Professional
SolidWorks 3D CAD design software is also available in Australia and New Zealand from Intercad .