Innovia Films , a specialist provider of filmic solutions for packaging presents the innovative NatureFlex range of cellulose-based films.
NatureFlex film can be laminated together with other bio materials to provide a fully renewable filmic structure suitable for coffee packaging.
Metal cans, glass jars and rigid plastic containers that dominate instant coffee packaging are all recyclable but not made from renewable resources and are not compostable.
Beginning with premium brands, various instant coffee brands are switching over to conventional flexible packaging consisting of lightweight packs including stand-up bags and pouches with some using vacuum packed blocks.
According to Innovia Films Neil Banerjee, Market Developer – Cello, coffee producers are moving towards packaging that weighs less to save on transportation costs in the supply chain and to lower the product’s carbon footprint.
He explains that NatureFlex films offer a viable alternative to coffee producers who want a complete packaging structure with lightweight characteristics and offering protection for their product while also meeting their environmental requirements of a renewable material with compostable properties.
While existing laminate structures for lightweight coffee packaging need to be disposed of through landfill, NatureFlex packaging films can be composted, providing a distinct competitive advantage.
Flexible packaging for the roast and ground coffee and coffee bean market typically consists of a laminate structure made up of three layers:
- A reverse printed outer layer of 20μm BOPP or 12μm PET
- A high barrier middle layer of 6-10μm aluminium foil or 12μm metallised PET
- An inner sealant layer of 50-90μm polyethylene
Key advantages of NatureFlex films:
- Renewable and compostable material
- Complies with standards for compostable packaging, including EN13432, AS4736 and ASTM D6400
- Depending on the selected film, the finished laminate structure could be certified compostable to the same standards subject to ink, print design and adhesive choices
- Pouches can be vented or provided with a fully compostable zip closure if required