Maranello Motorsport, Australia’s leading Ferrari GT racing team uses a customised Stralis ATi from IVECO Trucks Australia Limited as its workhorse to transport cars, spare parts and equipment around the country.
Competing in Australia’s premier production sports car series for more than 15 years, and winning many events in spirited Ferrari GT race cars, Maranello Motorsport is based in the inner Melbourne suburb of Richmond selling, restoring and servicing a range of classic and modern Ferrari models, as well as other ‘supercar’ marques. The Maranello team uses an IVECO Stralis ATi prime mover for their transportation requirements while participating in various GT racing events around Australia.
Maranello Motorsport’s Managing Director, Mark Coffey explains that racing is an important part of their business with its track success attracting some of the top drivers including Alan Simonsen, Peter Edwards and John Bowe to join the team.
According to Coffey, IVECO and Ferrari have a longstanding partnership in Europe, which has been extended into Australia. He describes their Stralis as a European-styled truck that anyone associated with motor racing would recognise.
The team covers more than 1,000km each month travelling between Maranello’s headquarters in Melbourne for six rounds of GT racing competition and 12 track days each year, with the IVECO Stralis getting them to the races and events safely and on time.
Mick Zielinski, Sales Manager with Adtrans Laverton, the IVECO dealership that supplied the vehicle said that the Stralis was painted Ferrari red and fitted with an ‘aero kit’ and special alloy wheels.
One of a number of models manufactured by IVECO in Europe, the Stralis ATi is supplied to the Australian market by its subsidiary, IVECO Trucks Australia. The company also has a manufacturing plant in Dandenong, Victoria which produces more than 600 trucks each year, making the plant a major player in the local truck and bus industry.
Key features of Maranello team’s Stralis ATi truck:
- Active Time sleeper cab configuration with an ergonomically designed cab to minimise driver fatigue
- Bunk in the cab gives extra accommodation when needed
- Fully adjustable air suspended driver’s seat in the cabin
- Fully adjustable steering column controlled by pressing down on a button on the cab floor
- Multiple storage compartments throughout the cab
- ZF Eurotronic II 12-speed transmission also aids in reducing driver fatigue, clutch wear, fuel consumption and acoustic emissions
- Powered by an IVECO 10-litre Euro 5-compliant Cursor engine with a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) delivering 450hp from 1600 to 2000rpm
- Cursor engine uses the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system to reduce exhaust emissions
- Engine compliant with current Australian and European emissions standards