A simple colored dye field test to detect Alkali Silica reaction (ASR) is now available from Hylec Controls . Two reagents are applied to the broken surface of a concrete core and the excess rinsed off. On contaminated concrete, the resultant stains reveal the presence of ASR. The stains also reveal the extent of the ASR in the concrete and indicate the stage of ASR progression. Yellow indicates that degradation has begun; pink warns that degradation is advancing.
Features and benefits of the dye field test include:
- The dye field test utilises two environmentally safe dyes
- The dye field test can be carried out completely on site
- Results can be obtained from the dye field test in less than five minutes are easy to interpret
- Minimal operator training and no special equipment required to use the dye field test
- Economic, fast and easy to use
- Identifies ASR in concrete and differentiates ASR from other causes of degradation
Each of the two reagents is applied to the broken surface of a concrete core drilled in a suspect structure and rinse off the excess. On ASR contaminated concrete, the resultant stains reveal the presence of ASR. The stain’s distribution shows the extent of ASR in the concrete, and their proximity to different components of the aggregate gives clues to the source of trouble. The two gels that are identified-one staining yellow, the other pink - indicate the stage of ASR’s progression. Yellow signals that degradation has begun. Pink warns that degradation is advancing.