Pilodyn, available from Hylec Controls , was developed to determine the density and strength of dead and living wood. Invisible soft rot can be detected rapidly and objectively in an easy non-destructiveway and the reduction in strength associated with it can be determined. Thiscan be of vital importance in the case of wooden playground structures,climbing frames and telephone masts.
With PILODYN 6J Forest version the density of the wood is determined on living trees. The damage is solittle that the tree suffers no harm and the testing method is regarded asnon-destructive.
Testing procedure: The testing procedure is very simple: The tester is loadedwith the ramrod and then pressed firmly onto the test surface. The impact pinis shot into the wood by pressing the trigger cover. The depth of penetrationcan be read straightaway in mm on the scale mounted on the tester.
Typical applications of PILODYN wood density testing meter:
- Testing the stability of wooden structures on playgrounds, detection of soft rot
- Testing the strength on wooden telephone masts, detection of soft rot
- When thinning out: sorting out trees with undesirable density of the wood
- Early detection of diseases: periodic measurement detects unnatural changes in the wood density
- Comparison of the location-dependent density to determine the optimal location for the respective tree species
- Establishing productivity with respect to density for the same tree species and similar location properties for culture purposes
- Testing and sorting of cut wood into timber classes