Moulds are fungi that can grow virtually on any substance and reproduce by creating tiny spores, which continually float through the air. Workers exposed to these spores are at risk of developing respiratory diseases.
According to the Department of Health, Victoria (2011), a mould outbreak can cause serious health issues including nasal congestion, sneezing, cough and respiratory infections, and can exacerbate asthma and other existing allergic conditions.
Safety precautions must therefore be taken during its removal to ensure that mould spores do not cause serious health issues.
The Victorian Government recommends a P1 or P2 respirator to be worn to protect against particles that may be in the air, while the NSW government recommends a High Efficiency Particulate Filter (HEPA Filter) with a P2 or P3 rating.
Honeywell 3000 half-mask respirators are user-friendly respirators featuring a P2/P3 filter and are suitable for use in environments where mould poses a threat.
Key features of Honeywell 3000 half-mask respirators:
- Made of lightweight silicone, preventing oxidation and elasticity loss
- Large, pliable sealing area allows for a secure fit
- Oversized inhalation ports enable lower breathing resistance to enhance wearer comfort
- Angled, self-adjusting nose bridge allows safety or prescription eyewear to be accommodated
- Computer designed face piece allows optimal speech communication without the aid of a speaking diaphragm
- Compatible with Honeywell threaded cartridges
- Certified to AS/NZS 1716:2012 Licence No: 0952