3M adhesives, available from Harry Daines Pty Ltd come in various types including liquids, pastes, tapes, films and shaped solids with each type characteristic in their application effectiveness and efficiency.
3M adhesives in liquid and paste form readily fill voids to enhance mechanical adhesion. Many liquids can be sprayed to cover large areas.
Films and pressure sensitive tapes offer advantages unique to their form, which include uniform thickness throughout the joint, confinement of the adhesive to the immediate bonding area, clean bonding without dripping or overflow and minimal adhesive waste. These adhesives can also be die-cut into unique shapes to facilitate bonding of complex parts with narrow bonding surfaces.
Hot melts are supplied as solid sticks, cartridges, pellets or similar shapes, and can be handled and stored easily.
Adhesives can also be classified by relative strength and solidification process in industrial applications. Adhesives that bond through a chemical reaction are stronger than those that bond through a physical change.
Structural adhesives bonded by chemical reaction
3M structural strength adhesives bond the load-bearing parts of a product, reaching a minimum of 1,000psi overlap shear strength.
3M formulations include:
- Epoxy adhesives available in one and two-part liquids and pastes, providing the highest strength and elevated temperature resistance among all 3M adhesives
- Acrylic adhesives available in two-part liquids or pastes that bond a wide variety of substrates including hard-to-bond plastics and oily metals, offering high strength bonding without surface preparation
- Cyanoacrylate adhesives available as high strength liquid formulations and known as instant adhesives are suitable for rigid plastic, glass, metal, rubber and other low porosity substrates, hardening in seconds through reaction with surface moisture
Varying in strength from repositionable to equal to or greater than the strength of the substrate being bonded, non-structural adhesives are typically less than 1,000psi and bond materials in cushions, gaskets, insulation, veneers and general assembly.
3M formulations in this range include hot melt adhesives, rubber adhesives and contact bond adhesives.
Hot melt adhesives
- Melts and flows under heat to wet the substrates and make bonds quickly upon cooling
- Short set times
- Spray-able formula
- Permanent PSA properties
- Applications range from sealing to bonding automotive interior trim
- Solvent-based or water-based adhesives
- Solidifies through evaporation of the carrier
- Ideal for adhesion to various substrates
- Variety of application methods
- Environmental resistance
- Rolled, brushed or sprayed on the two surfaces to be bonded
- Permitted to become dry to the touch with a variety of open times
- Achieves near ultimate bond strength when the surfaces are pressed together
Pressure sensitive adhesives (PSAs) found in 3M tapes grip immediately to the mating surface. With dwell time, the adhesive conforms to surface irregularities.
3M hybrid classifications
Curing hot melts or polyurethane reactive (PUR) adhesives are moisture-curing urethanes that apply like hot melt adhesives but cool to bond strength usually associated with two-part structural adhesives.
Reclosable fasteners combine adhesive and mechanical fastening principles with the pressure sensitive adhesive permanently bonding two reclosable mating strips to the substrates that need to be opened and closed multiple times.