A global supplier of video inspection machinery, IntraVis will display their BarrierWatcher inspection system, which is capable of inspecting EVOH (ethylene-vinyl alcohol copolymer) barrier layers in containers for defects. Used as a barrier in plastic packaging for food, medical, pharmaceutical and cosmetic goods, EVOH creates a barrier to oxygen and carbon dioxide, allowing for the quality and essence to be locked inside.
EVOH barriers are either extruded or injection moulded as a multilayer structure with regular plastic materials such as PP, PET or HDPE. However, to produce evenly distributed EVOH layers continuously can be challenging, which led to the development of the BarrierWatcher inspection system that checks parts with built-in EVOH barrier layers for an equal and adequate distribution.
Key features of BarrierWatcher inspection system:
- Inspects EVOH barrier layers for defects
- Detects insufficient layer thickness by comparing the product to the reference object
- Special EVOH cameras compare relative thickness and detect small holes in the layers
- Each module can have up to eight cameras and inspects up to 8 items per second
IntraVis’ Quality Inspection Systems:
- Bottlewatcher for shape, neck finish, label placement and cap verification
- Spotwatcher for contamination of plastic /glass containers or plastic parts
- Colorwatcher for colour deviation, intensity etc.
- Capwatcher for pin holes, short shot, cavity number, colour, ovality including metal closures
- Labelwatcher for wrinkles, bubbles, positioning, print quality, correct label type
- PETwatcher for PET bottle neck finish, contamination, gate position
- Prewatcher for PET preform un-melts, neck finish, wall section, gate vestige/position, polarity
- Printwatcher for print quality, registration, missing print, blemishes etc.
- Snipwatcher for mono and coex bottles for contamination, inner bottle, trim quality etc.
- Intrawatcher for ensuring 100% laser engraving integrity