Xstrata is developing the Macarthur River Open Cut Coal Mine in the Northern Territory.
Major diversion works of several large rivers required a hydrographic monitoring network to be established. The system was installed in Dec 2002 and has recorded several major flood events including the 1 in 100 year flooding in January 2003.
- Remote sites on major river system
- Network of new Hydrographic Stations
- Upgrade of existing Gauging Stations
- Tilting Pole Station for flood protection
- River Sensing via Gas Bubbler
- Solar Power, Data Logger
- Satellite telemetry link
- Automatic Samplers for EPA compliance
The system provided a full set of rainfall and river level data through a 1 in 100 year flood event in Jan 2003 with over 650mm rainfall and river levels rising 20 m.