Rio Tinto operates Tarong Coal Mine to comply with a stringent water management system.
All discharges from the pit dewatering activities and storm water runoff are monitored for quality and quantity before discharging into nearby Meandu Dam for use by the adjacent Tarong Power Station and by downstream irrigators.
Reporting of total runoff volumes and key water quality data are required by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).
- Remote water monitoring stations
- Solar powered with sensors for
- Water depth and discharge
- EC and temp
- Concrete weirs and flumes for rating curves
- Data logging and radio telemetry
- Base station data system and reporting
- Quarterly system servicing and calibrations