Fastrax Ltd., a pioneering developer of high performance GNSS receivers and software GNSS solutions for location-aware devices presents the Fastrax UC530, a new edition of the extremely small range of OEM GPS receivers with an integrated chip antenna.
Featuring the same ultra-small form factor as the widely popular Fastrax UC430, the new Fastrax UC530 GPS modules deliver new benefits to designers, developers and manufacturers of handheld digital devices.
The Fastrax UC530 combines high sensitivity (-165 dBm in tracking) with extremely low power consumption, typically only 45 mW average power. Easily embeddable in space-restricted environments thanks to a tiny footprint of 9.6 x 14.0 x 1.95mm and extended input voltage range of +3.0V…+4.3V, the antenna modules can be directly connected to a lithium battery allowing hardware designers to eliminate cost-adding regulators. Full SMT design reduces the need for external components and minimises manufacturing costs.
The integrated chip antenna of the Fastrax UC530 exhibits significantly better radiation efficiency than small patch antennas and performs well against larger and heavier patch antennas. The optional connectivity to an external GPS antenna extends the applicability of the module to a wider range of devices from handheld computers to asset tracking systems.
Fredrik Borgström, VP of GNSS Receivers at Fastrax explains that hardware designers, developers and manufacturers are faced with the difficult task of providing accurate and reliable positioning in all kinds of small size devices against time-to-market and price pressures. The new Fastrax UC530 addresses these needs with a complete low-power, high-sensitivity and high performance GPS receiver with an integrated antenna.
Key functions and features of Fastrax UC530 GPS modules:
- New power-saving AlwaysLocate mode prolongs battery life while maintaining location information
- Adjusts navigation activity to balance positioning accuracy, fix rate and power consumption to suit environment and motion
- Embedded Assist System (EASY) reduces warm-start TTFF by up to 90% with autonomously calculated ephemeris data for next three days
- Additional server-assisted EPO file transfer extends the external A-GPS service to up to 14 days when desired
- Small footprint packaged in a tiny casing allows easy integration in various devices at low cost
- Embedded jammer remover solves issues with distorting signals due to EMI
- Active Interference Cancellation (AIC) tracks and removes up to 12 CW (Carrier Wave) type EMI sources up to -80 dBm
- Embedded LOCUS logger function stores location information in the internal memory
- Log capacity is 16 hours with a typical log interval of 15 seconds