Future Devices Technology International Limited (FTDI), available through Glyn High-Tech Distribution has introduced a flexible and powerful development platform that speeds up the creation of FPGA-based applications and simplifies the integration of hi-speed 480Mbit/s USB communication in advanced logic circuit designs.
The Morph-IC-II development platform combines an Altera Cyclone-II FPGA with high performance USB 2.0 capabilities that facilitate hi-speed communications with ultra-fast, sub-100ms FPGA programming.
In addition to enhancing application flexibility, hardware reconfiguration via USB can also reduce BoM costs as the FPGA need only be sized for the most complex discrete function rather than all potential functions.
Key features of Morph-IC-II development platform
- Incorporates all the hardware, software and documentation needed for out-of-the-box FPGA development
- Hardware comprises a compact development module incorporating an Altera EP2C5F256C8N Cyclone-II FPGA and an FTDI FT2232H USB-to-multipurpose UART/FIFO IC
- One channel of the FT2232H is utilised for FPGA-to-PC communications and supports data transfer speeds of up to 40Mbyte/s
- FT2232H’s second channel is used to configure and reconfigure the FPGA over USB
- USB programming eliminates the need for Flash configuration memory normally required to configure SRAM-based FPGAs
- Platform features up to 80 general purpose I/O (GPIO) lines ensuring optimum flexibility for connecting the FPGA to external circuits and interfaces
- USB software interfacing is provided via FTDI’s royalty-free drivers
- Sample FPGA reference designs help to speed prototyping and further reduce development time
- FPGA can be rapidly programmed and configured using Altera’s freely downloadable Quartus II development software
- FT2232H IC offers USB-to-UART and USB-to-high-speed FIFO options for general-purpose communications with PC application software
- FT2232H also features a Multi Protocol Synchronous Serial Engine (MPSSE), a configurable serial controller that allows designers to implement JTAG, SPI, I2C or other application-specific serial interfaces
In addition to supporting FPGA application development and the FPGA-based prototyping of high-volume ASIC applications, Morph-IC-II is also an ideal educational platform for developers learning FPGA design.
FTDI also allows customers to use the Morph-IC-II schematics and programming utility as a reference design for their own PCB developments.