Available through GLYN High-Tech Distribution , FTDI has made it easier to provide USB capability on existing or new embedded designs with its Vinculum VNC1L USB Host Controller IC and its Vinculum-based modules. The initial product member of the family is the VNC1L device with two USB Ports which can be individually configured by firmware as Host or Slave ports.
The Vinculum USB host controller chip can be used in various ways. The USB Flash drives can be connected to MCUs via the Vinculum's UART, SPI or parallel FIFO interfaces. USB device classes including Mass Storage Class, Printer Class and HID Class devices, or even FTDI's own range of USB-UART and USB-FIFO ICs can also be connected to an embedded system.
- 4k internal Data SRAM
- 8/32 bit V-MCU Core
- 64k Embedded Flash Program Memory
- Dual DMA controllers for hardware acceleration
- 2 x USB 2.0 Slow/Full speed Host/Slave Ports
- UART, SPI and Parallel FIFO interfaces
- 3.3V operation with 5V safe inputs
- PS2 legacy Keyboard and Mouse Interfaces
- Up to 28 GPIO pins depending on configuration
- Multi-processor configuration capable
- Low power operation (25mA running/2mA standby)
- FTDI firmware easily updated in the field
- LQFP-48 RoHS compliant package
FTDI has also developed various Vinculum-based modules for easier prototyping and evaluation.
- DLP-VLOG (Module to allow data logging directly to a USB Flash drive using a VNC1L device with a microcontroller)
- VDIP (DIP format VNC1L USB host controller development module)
- VDRIVE (Module easily adds USB Flash drive interface to MCU I/F via UART or SPI interface)
- V-Eval (Vinculum development board based on the VNC1L)
- VF2F (Digital media backup to USB Flash drive - reference design)
- VMUSIC (Module easily adds USB Flash drive Interface plus MP3 playback to MCU I/F via UART or SPI interface)