FTDI, available through GLYN High-Tech Distribution, has released a new version of the VDIP module with two USB connectors to allow for easier prototyping of applications requiring two full-speed USB host/slave interfaces.
The VDIP2 module is an MCU to embedded USB host controller development module for the VNC1L IC device.
The VDIP2 is supplied on a PCB designed to fit into a 40 pin DIP socket and provides access to the UART, parallel FIFO, and SPI interface pins on the VNC1L device, via its AD and AC bus pins.
All other Vinculum I/O pins are also accessible. Not only is it ideal for developing and rapid prototyping of VNC1L designs, but also an attractive quantity discount structure makes this module suitable for incorporation into low and medium volume finished product designs.
The Vinculum VNC1L is the first of FTDI’s Vinculum family of embedded USB host controller integrated circuit devices.
Not only is it able to handle the USB Host Interface and data transfer functions but owing to the inbuilt MCU and embedded Flash memory, Vinculum can encapsulate the USB device classes as well.
When interfacing to mass storage devices such as USB Flash drives, Vinculum also transparently handles the FAT File structure communicating via UART, SPI or parallel FIFO interfaces via a simple to implement command set.
Vinculum provides a new cost effective solution for providing USB Host capability into products that previously did not have the hardware resources available.
The VNC1L is available in Pb-free (RoHS compliant) compact 48-Lead LQFP package.
- Uses F.T.D.I.’s VNC1L embedded USB host controller I.C. device
- Two vertically mounted USB ‘A’ type socket to interface with USB peripheral devices
- Jumper selectable UART, parallel FIFO, or SPI MCU interfaces
- Single 5V supply input
- Auxiliary 3.3 V / 200 mA power output to external logic
- Power and traffic indicator LED’s
- Program or update firmware via USB Flash disk or via UART interface
- VNC1L firmware programming control pins PROG# and RESET# brought out onto jumper interface
- VDIP2 is a Pb-free, RoHS complaint development module
- VDIP2 module is supplied pre-loaded with Vinculum VDAP firmware.