USB solutions specialist Future Technology Devices International Limited (FTDI) introduces a new range of products to its portfolio of USB to serial interface products.
The new X-Chip series of next generation USB interface ICs is made up of devices in 13 different package options and complements FTDI’s existing FT-R and FT-H offerings. The series supports a broad selection of interface types such as basic UART, full UART, FIFO and I2C, as well as FTDI’s proprietary FT1248 I/O (including provision for enhanced SPI).
The X-Chip series of USB interface ICs provide engineers with a feature-rich USB 2.0 interface solution that will enhance system performance while simultaneously addressing major board level concerns, such as better space utilisation and reduced power consumption.
Devices in the series are capable of data rates of up to 3.4 Mbits/s while maintaining low power consumption, <8mA (typical) when fully active and <125 μA (typical) while in suspend mode.
In response to the recent amendments made to the USB specification regarding more rapid charging of portable electronics devices, the X-Chip has built-in functionality to detect a charging port and cause logic to switch from data transfer to charging mode, which means that detection does not have to be carried out by the system’s microcontroller/microprocessor, thereby allowing it to focus fully on its core activities.
This feature results in a simpler detection process and the capability to charge at a higher current level, which shortens the time required for battery charging.
As all the necessary USB support and bridging intelligence has been integrated into these interface devices and pre-validated, the expense, time and engineering resource needed to bring Full Speed USB connectivity into system designs is markedly reduced.
Additionally, FTDI has released a wide selection of development modules, enabling different functions for each chip type, and allowing for easy device evaluation and prototyping development.
Key features of X-Chip series USB interface ICs:
- Supports Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows XP Embedded, Windows CE, Mac OS-X, Linux 3.2 (and above), plus Android OS
- Required USB drivers are free to download from the FTDI website
- Eliminates the need for programming of USB specific firmware since the entire USB protocol is handled by the device
- Internal 2048 byte, multi-time programmable (MTP) memory enables storage and configuration of the necessary device descriptors
- Offered in compact SSOP, QFN and DFN packages
- Operational temperature range of -40ºC to +85ºC
FTDI products are available in Australia through Glyn High-Tech Distribution .